Chapter 18

"Wow, I'm finally home?, this is unbelievable. The front door looks so dusty Steve". I said as he parked his car in front of my father's house. The flowers at the porch has wilted already, they were my mum's favorite like her keepsake. Since I got hospitalized, the flowers would wither of course, cause I'm the only one that takes care of them. Lucy should have at least checked up on the flowers, they were her mother's too.
    "Come in Alice, you shouldn't stand for long". Steve said as he called me in.
    "Everywhere is so dusty Steve, I feel disappointed in myself leaving my parent's house like this". I said as we entered.
    "It's nothing Alice, it wasn't your fault. It was a situation you or no one could handle, so don't bother yourself about it, I'm gonna do all the cleaning okay, you should go to your room and have some rest". He replied
    "Uh, are you serious Steve?, it's getting late tho". I said
    "It's just 5:00pm and if I end up finishing late, you can let me sleep here right?".
    "Oooh that's so such a straightforward question, Okay fine but I'll help too. I don't want to be idle after sleeping for about three months, It's not healthy enough". I convinced him and he agreed.
   I can't believe I got myself working the day I got discharged and it was fun anyway since I got a company. And while cleaning, we both got to know each other well except everything that had to do with Rem tho, it was supposed to be a secret and I started believing Rem's words that Steve and I are actually meant to be together, we got into each other so fast. He's such an hilarious person, like we had so much in common.
    "You know Steve, I kinda miss Lucy. Weird, right?".
    "Of course not, it's normal. You have always been with her for years". He said. "Oh right!, she told me she was getting married with Mark, your ex fiancé". He said.
    "Really, she did?". I asked pretending I wasn't aware of anything. I had seen it all except where she moved too.
    "Yeah, I'm sorry about that tho. It's quite saddening". He apologized
     "No no Steve, you don't need to be sorry. It wasn't your fault anyway". I replied. "I just wish I know where she stays".
      "Manhattan". He said
      "What?"
      "That's where she moved to with Mark, Manhattan". He repeated
      "Really, how did you know that".
      "Well, Lucy said to me on the last day I saw her that I might want to visit after you're dead and gave me an address". He explained.
       "She's really unbelievable. I can't believe she left school like that". I said. "What's today, Steve?". I asked
       "Today is Wednesday, Alice. Why?".
       "Well, are you interested in going on a trip to Manhattan this weekend?". I asked.
       "Don't tell me you're gonna......."
       "Exactly, I'm paying my sis a visit". I said. "Wow we are almost done with the cleaning, let me go and get you a glass of water".
        "I'd prefer a cold juice instead". He said.
        "Anything for you, young man". I said as I left to bring the juice. "We actually bond so quick". I said to myself.

                  * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
LUCY'S POV:
      "Hey baby, isn't the sun so beautiful?". I asked Mark as I stood by the window.
      "Yes it is". He said as he stood by my side. "I wonder how Alice is doing right now".
       "You just find a reason to ruin my mood every morning right?, must you bring up Alice everyday?. Don't you even think about your baby and I?. We are now your priorities not Alice".
        "Why would you say such thing, Lucy?. Fine, I know Alice isn't mine anymore but is it wrong to be a little bit worried about her?. She's your sister Lucy, don't you feel a little sympathy for her?".
         "Well I don't care about what happens to her ok?, Mark, all I care about is my family which is you and I and our baby. So please stop bringing up the past, you don't want me to have complications when it's just my third being pregnant, right?". I said
           "Okay, just sit down ok, I have to go to work now, I'll be back soon".
           "Okay, I......". Before I could finish my sentence, he was out of the house already. I haven't heard the sweet three words I've been wanting to hear all this while. I wonder when I'll get to hear it. He didn't even eat the food I prepared, I thought I was being lucky when everything started falling into place but am I wrong now?. Oh God, I hope not. I need to go see him now, thank God he's also in Manhattan but I should give him a call first.
          "Hello, are you home now?"
          "Yes I am, are you coming over?"
          "Of course, I need your help"
          "Hope it's not Mark again?"
          "If not Mark what else would it be?. It's about Mark of course".
          "Please Lucy, I think I'm getting fed up with this Mark issue all the time. Why don't you go for someone who loves you truly. You just keep asking me for help every time, aren't you tired?, cause I'm tired"
          "Did you say tired?, we've been on this path for long, you can't just opt out now?"
         "Well, I'll do whatever I please to do". He replied and I guess he's really determined this time but he's not as determined as I am.
          "Please daddy, just this once, you claim you love me right?"
          "Lucy, did you just call me dad?, I've never heard you call me that". He said with a shaking voice.
          "Yes dad, please help me".
          "Okay, be here by noon".
I knew blackmailing him would do just fine.   I decided not to call him 'dad' after what mum had told me when I was in high school, she had told me they were lovers before she met Alice's dad. Years after, they met and conceived me, the most painful part of the story was the day my mum and I visited him, I overheard them talking about how to kill Alice's dad in a car accident but unfortunately the car accident happened on Alice's convocation day before they could carry out their own plan.