11) One Month Later...

It had been a month since we had gone on another investigation it wasn't because I was done with it, it was because Jane could have been seriously affected and I knew it was taking a lot out of her I could see it in her eyes. Jane went back to school for the time being and decided that we would stay in touch if anything popped back up and I don't think she wanted to admit it but she felt useful for once more so like when we were kids again. I had given her back some of the wonder and curiousity she thought she lost growing up to both of us. I however was in and out of interstate hotels and motels living off of what little I made at a job as a cashier for the moment being until I found another case and just when I was about to throw in the towel I found a lead. It was in Kentucky a two story farm house that had an issue with a spirit of a young girl that they're daughter had began to talk to. The father had been pushed down the stairs and broke his arm, the mother was beginning to see a change in her son, Kevin who was 15 he wasn't sleeping in his own room because of a spirit he saw nightly an older woman dressed in  black holding a small box taunting him. "Hey Jane how's it going? How's school?" I asked when I called her from my room once I got off work for the day. "It's alright I'm passing most of my classes so that's a plus. I also got an award for best artwork and it got placed in a gallery downtown last weekend. How about you? It's been awhile since we went on another investigation... Have you given up yet?" She asks almost mocking me in a way I chuckle, "No I didn't give up. I figured after the last one we went on I just... I couldn't..." She answers for me, "For the record I don't remember what happened I'm just going by what you've told me... I'll be ok, Kit I'm a woman do you really think a ghost scares me? I've seen things so often it doesn't surprise me in the least. So are we doing this anymore or not because summer is coming up and I'll be off for a month." I had to say something or she would know I was hiding something, "Yeah actually a farmhouse in rural Louisville. It's a family of four having issues with a young girl and a woman spirit messing with there kids. They seem somewhat legit I suppose I don't know it was closer than I thought it's an eight hour drive which isn't too shabby. I think more or less theyre not really scared but worried... I don't know that's just the tone I get off of this one. So are you in?" She doesn't answer, "When do we have to be there?" I shrug popping a microwave dinner into the microwave, "I haven't replied back yet I wanted to know your opinion before I said anything." She goes quiet a moment once again and I can hear someone coughing in the background, "You two sound wasted as shit... Am I right?" She clears her throat, "Tell them beginning of next month we'll be there. I'm off for summer break and what better way to spend it then looking for demons right?" I chuckle, "Yeah, yeah well you be safe and stay smart, Jane. I'll call you when I get more info. Love ya." She hangs up before that as usual because admitting she loved having me as a twin was going to take a lot of shit.
I had called the family back a couple of days later to inform them we would check it out but i had a deal to be made; we investigate the house for a week and see if we come up with anything. The mom had told me that it was the attic that had been opened when things started to get weird. When they had moved in it was locked and taped with duct tape around it as if to keep something in... That was odd in general because why would someone go through all that trouble to keep an attic locked? She had also told me that she her daughter, Marie, her oldest, Brian and her Kevin would be there but the timing of us coming was perfect because her husband would be out of town on business. At first I assumed this was a set up of some kind but then she explained to me that her husband didn't like to talk about things of a paranormal nature and he would dismiss anything we had to say about it. I know that school would be out that Friday for the summer and that her children would be in the picture but during investigations I didn't feel very comfortable having them involved in case something happened. As I planned out or trip for the following month I had an awkward encounter and because I didn't see things much like Jane this was as real as anything I'll ever be able to comprehend... I saw my mother sitting on my bed watching me with intent. She didn't blink, she didn't move she only stared with her hazel eyes and blonde hair she looked exactly like Jane which at first I assumed was Jane but this was real. She then stood up and walked over to me I couldn't move, I couldn't speak I could only stand there with my jaw down as she stroked my cheek and leaned into my ear, "Protect Jane." She whispered and she was gone as quickly as she appeared. I had never had an encounter like that with anything like that, I wasn't the psychic Jane was but for some reason her words stuck Protect Jane... What did she mean by that? Was this a warning of some kind? Was she trying to assure me that this wasn't a good idea? Or was she merely trying to let me know she watches me and sticks around? I didn't know, I couldn't find a logical answer to those questions because I wasn't the one who experienced things usually I used science why was she all of a sudden talking and showing herself to me?