chapter 2

I rush out of the dining hall right after dinner. My head is spinning. This is all too much for me. I've been through a lot in my life. My parents disowning me, fighting death eaters, coming face to face with the dark lord himself, and worst of all watching my boyfriend die.

I haven't thought about Cedric for so long, which sounds horrible. I just couldn't handle his death when it happened. We had been dating since third year but were immediately best friends when we met first year.

We had potions together with Snape. We used to make fun of the way Snape talked in such a monotone slow voice no matter what he was talking about. Cedric was amazing at potions. When he died a part of me died with him.

The worst part of it all was we got in a fight right before the Yule Ball. He ended up taking Cho Chang instead of me. I ended up alone, crying on the stairs. Hermione joined me crying over Ron eventually and we ended up laughing that night together over how stupid boys are.

"Greene!" I hear a voice I don't want to hear right now. I try to walk faster and act like I didn't hear my name being called. I have tears streaming down my face and the last thing I need is for Draco Malfoy to see me crying. "I know you heard me Greene." He says in his constantly smug voice.

He catches up to me and grabs my shoulder to turn me around. I shake him off violently.

"Can't you see I'm not in the mood for your taunting right now Malfoy!" I turn around to face him and his face falls. He almost looks concerned? No, that couldn't be right. Just as quickly as the look came it fades away and he's back to his usual smirking self.

"Are you crying Greene?" He smirks and I just roll my eyes and continue to walk away. Students are starting to flood the halls to go to their rooms. He comes after me. "I was coming to tell you Snape needs to speak with you, but maybe I should tell him you are in the halls crying your sad little eyes out?"

He infuriates me. Usually I'm not bothered, but I'm so shaken up tonight from seeing Liam and finding out Snape is our new headmaster. I turn left into a private corridor to try and calm down, but he turns left right along with me.

He is so much taller then me and broader. His white hair is almost falling over his eyes now and his Slytherin tie is loosened. The moonlight shines on his face and he almost looks angelic, but Draco Malfoy is more like the devil in disguise. I try to wipe my tears away, so he doesn't see my tear stained face.

"Why does Snape need to see me and why is he sending you of all people to tell me?" I say this and try to avoid all eye contact with him at the moment. Usually I'm not afraid of him, but I'm feeling particularly vulnerable tonight. I feel like if I look him in the eye he will be able to see right into my soul.

"Why are you crying, Greene?" He steps closer to me and asks it with what almost sounds like sincerity in his voice. He still has a hard look on his face like he might punch me if I say something wrong.

"Why do you care?" I ask.

"I don't. Just never seen you cry before. Need to know what It is, so I can use it against you," He grins at me and I finally look him in the eye.

His face drops. His hard features soften and for the first time I'm seeing the little ten year old boy I knew before Hogwarts. Before I was in Gryffindor, before we were enemies. The boy I used to climb trees with. The boy I used to share my secrets with. The boy who promised me he'd protect me no matter what.

"Just tell me what Snape wants, I'm not in the mood." He gives me a weird look like he is realizing something, then he goes pale. Well paler then he already is.

"It was the Diggory boy wasn't it?" He says this in almost a painful whisper. I turn out of the corridor and start to run up the stairs. I can't handle Malfoy's comments about my dead boyfriend right now.

"Olivia..." I hear him call out my name.

I haven't heard him call me by my first name since we were kids. It makes my heart skip a weird beat.

I walk into my room and Hermione is pacing back and forth while Ginny sits on the bed looking unphased.

"Liv where have you been?" Hermione stops and looks at me. Then her face falls and she walks over to me. "Oh Liv, are you okay? I saw you talking to Liam...I should've told you he was coming this year." She hugs me and Ginny waves us both over to the bed. We all sit down.

"He looks just like him Gin." I let another tear slip down my cheek. Gin puts her hand on mine and squeezes.

"I know darling, I'm so sorry." I'm not the emotional kind, so I quickly pull myself together and remember my interaction with Draco.

"I ran into Malfoy in the hall, he said Snape wanted to see me. Any idea why?" Hermione looks at Ginny and they share a worried expression. "What is it?"

"He called all of us in his office, well Dumbledore's office and you didn't come, which he wasn't happy about." Ginny sighs and looks at Hermione again.

"He doesn't trust us Liv. He has a bunch of Slytherin's keeping an eye on each of us. Crabbe has been following me around since we got here. Goyle cornered Neville earlier." Hermione gets angry when she mentions Neville.

"Did he hurt him? I swear I will use the crucio curse on Goyle if he lays a hand on Neville-" Hermione cuts me off.

"He's fine Liv, he actually handled Goyle on his own. Gave him a cupcake that caused a little pain." I smile at this, I'm glad Neville is finally handeling himself. After years of torture from Slytherin's they deserve a little vomit.

"So if Snape has Slytherin's following us, is he still on Voldemort's side?" I ask.

"We don't know. He just told us to stay out of trouble and everything would run smoothly. Harry flipped out and asked how he even got Dumbledore's job when he's the one who killed him." Hermione explains the meeting that took place without me.

"He really expects us to just lay low? To act like Voldemort isn't out there scheming to kill us all? Worst of all he wants us to just trust him again with no explanation? I'd like to speak to Lupin again about this." I'm getting worked up again. None of this makes sense.

"He just told us to have a normal final year like we aren't all about to die at any moment! It's ridiculous and Harry isn't going to take it much longer. He is so on edge and can't stand not being out there looking for the remaining Horcruxes," Ginny says this with so much anxiety in her voice. I can tell how stressed she is about Harry. She try's her best to support him and help in everything. I adore her.

"Snape still wants to see you tomorrow, so get some rest. He is angry with you for some reason, but wouldn't say why," Hermione squeezes my hand and climbs into her own bed.

"Probably because you caused the most chaos last year." Ginny winks at me and we laugh.

I climb into bed, but can't sleep.

A million thoughts are racing through my mind.

Why is Snape angry with me? I think of Cedric. I think of Liam and how badly I probably freaked him out.

All of a sudden I remember what Hermione said about Snape having Slytherin's keeping an eye on us all. Who is my Slytherin babysitter?

Then it hits me.

No.

Not Malfoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hi guys!! i'm having so much fun writing this fanfic! i have so many ideas in my head for it and i hope y'all are enjoying it so far! please remember to comment and vote(:

love you<3

-Kiersten