chapter 14

"I heard about what happened in Snape's class and I'm not angry ya know," I look up the tree I was about to sit under and see Luna. I skipped the rest of my classes for the day and came outside to escape everyone. Seems like the word spread pretty quickly.

"You should be angry with me," I say looking up at her. She is dangling her legs from the tree branch and jumps down in front of me. She smooths down her skirt and smiles at me.

"I could never be that angry at you Olivia. You did what you thought was right. You were trying to protect everyone that you could. I think that was very noble of you." I give her a sad smile and sit down on the bench under the tree. She sits next to me.

"That's very nice of you Luna, but I feel like a coward. I had to lie to everyone just so I didn't have to make a decision." She looks at me with her big beautiful eyes. She looks stunning in the snow.

"You did what you had to do and you made a decision many of us could never think of making."

"I don't think Ginny and Neville will see it that way or anyone else." I look out at the frozen lake and stuff my hands in my coat pockets.

"They will come around, eventually."

"I hope you are right."

"Me too," she says grinning. Well, that wasn't very reassuring, but I can't help but laugh. Luna always cheers me up. "You know, avoiding them won't make it any better. You should go talk to them." She is right. The more I avoid them the worse it will be. Luna stands up and holds her arm out. I stand up and link my arm with hers. We walk into the school together arm in arm.

When I walk into the Gryffindor common room, it immediately falls silent. Everyone turns to look at me, but no one says a word. I spot Ginny and Neville in the corner together and walk over to them quickly trying to avoid all eye contact with anyone else.

"Hey, can we go somewhere to talk?" I ask quietly. Ginny looks around the room and sighs.

"Yeah, come on," she says and I follow her and Neville to our room.

Neville walks in and sits on the bed next to Ginny. I stay standing.

"Never been in one of the girls rooms before," says Neville grinning. Ginny shoots him a look and he frowns. "Sorry, wrong timing."

"Go ahead and explain yourself," says Ginny with slight attitude in her voice. I deserve that.

"I'm sorry for lying to both of you. Snape told me the first week we returned that my parents were the ones hunting Harry and that I needed to keep him here. Well, obviously I wasn't going to do that because the only way to defeat Voldemort is for Harry to be out there collecting the horcruxes. I couldn't tell anyone my parents were after Harry because the Order or the Ministry would kill them. I didn't know what to do." Neville gives Ginny a side look and I wait for one of them to say something before I continue.

"So wait a minute, you just let Harry, Hermione, and my brother go out there without knowing your parents are trying to kill them," screams Ginny. Neville grabs her hand to pull her back down on the bed but she yanks it away.

"No, I mean yes, but no," I start to stumble. "The map, I didn't put a spell on it to protect them from dementors. I did it to protect them from my bloodline! I put my blood on the map, so my parents can't track them. They are safe from them I promise." Ginny takes a seat and tries to process everything I just said.

"So explain the Boggart then," she says crossing her arms. I start to bite my nails again. Nervous habit.

"I don't know, I mean I guess I'm afraid i'll have to choose. That at some point I will have to kill my own parents or watch Harry die," I look at them both nervously and ashamed.

"You know you could've told us how you were feeling Liv," says Neville. He reaches up to touch my arm and I let a single tear slip down my cheek.

"No, I couldn't have because then a bunch of people would have died. Now everyone knows and the Ministry or the Order is probably searching for my parents now ready to kill."

I start to pace the room. Snape was the one trying to keep this all under wraps in the first place, so he is probably angry too. Ginny stands up and walks over to me.

"I'm angry that you lied to all of us. I get that you are trying to protect everyone, but you can't play both sides Olivia. You are going to have to choose eventually." She doesn't even give me a chance to respond. She walks out of the room slamming the door hard behind her. I jump slightly and sit on the bed next to Neville.

"I'm not angry, but she is right. You are going to have to figure out who you really are before you end up hurting someone you love on accident." Neville takes my hand and squeezes it, giving me a small smile. He leaves and I lay down on my bed.

I've made a mess of things. Hopefully Luna is right and Ginny will come around eventually. They were both right. I can't play both sides and save everyone.

I choose Harry. I won't let people who abandoned me win. I won't let my feelings from my childhood or past trauma affect my best friends lives. It would be selfish of me to put my feelings ahead of everyone else's lives.

I hear a thump on my window and jump. I get up to open the window and see an owl outside of it trying to get in.

Weird. No one has really been sending letters since Voldemort has been back. Everyone has been too scared. I get the window open and the owl flys in dropping a letter on the floor, then it flys back out disoriented. Poor thing.

I pick up the letter and see just my first name scratched on the front, like it was done in a hurry. I sit on my bed and open it up.

Olivia,

I'm sorry about today. You were right. Meet me by our spot tomorrow morning. I can't stand seeing you mad at me.

Yours.

I lay down on my bed and hold the letter tightly to my chest.

He didn't need to sign his name for me to know it was from him. Not many words written on the page, which is what I expect from him. They mean a lot to me though.

As badly as I want to stay mad at him, I just can't. Even these few lines scribbled on scratch paper he obviously found on the floor are comforting to me after such a dreadful day. To be quite honest I can barely remember why I was mad at him in the first place.

I guess i'm just always mad at him.

Draco Malfoy makes me crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, Ginny is pretty pissed. No surprise there. Luna is being the amazing woman she is. Neville is being supportive as always. Draco is being a sweetheart, kind of...

Hope you liked this chapter!

-Kiersten <3