chapter 31

6 months later:

"Would you like something to drink?" asks the lady at the counter holding her notepad. I look up at her name tag.

"Sofia, that's such a nice name. I will just take a water," I say smiling. She looks about forty and has short blonde hair and has almost a glow to her.

"Well, thank you, darling," she says smiling back. She brings me a glass of water and slides it across the bar carefully. It is just me in the small diner, probably because of how late it is and this place is in the middle of nowhere. "What brings you here all alone at a time like this? From London I'm assuming with the accent?"

"Not exactly from this part of London, no. I've been traveling on my own for a while now. Went to the states for a while and just found my way back in London. Not exactly sure where I am actually, just wandering still I suppose," I say taking a sip of my water.

"You look far too young to be wandering," she says raising her eyebrows at me. "Runaway from home?" I laugh slightly and tuck a light brown curl behind my ear. I cut my hair at the beginning of my trip six months ago, so now all the black is gone. It is about shoulder length, perfect for the warmer weather that is beginning to hit.

"I've been running away from something, but right now I think I'm just avoiding home," I say.

"I remember being your age, running from my parent's insane rules. They hated the boy I was with at the time. Said he wasn't good enough for me, so I up and left," she says grinning.

"Where did you go?"

"Well, things started off rough. We were both young, me and Newt, that was the boy's name. We didn't know what we were doing and had almost no money."

"Wow, did you go back home then?" I ask, truly engaged in her story. I have met so many people during my travels and hearing their stories has been my favorite part. I've learned so much about muggles and I have learned to really appreciate their way of living. So simple, yet complicated sometimes. It's been nice taking a break from the wizarding world, but I have begun to miss it. I have kept in touch with George, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, and Harry by sending a postcard every time I stop somewhere new.

"Oh no! Newt proposed with a little candy ring and we traveled around London for a bit until we found this area. It is quiet here, the people are friendly as ever, and we just feel at peace," she says smiling.

"You actually ended up marrying the boy you ran away with at eighteen? That is bloody amazing," I say.

"I'd say it was the best decision I ever made. We live in a little house that Newt built himself. We have ourselves a ten-year-old little boy as well. One thing I've learned from my crazy decisions from when I was young is when your heart tells you to jump, you close your eyes and do it darling no matter what anyone else tells you. I promise it will be the best decision you've ever made." She winks at me and begins wiping the counter with a wet rag.

I don't think I've met someone who has made me want to close my eyes and jump since Cedric. Even with Ced, it was easy. I never had to risk anything. I don't really have anyone in my life right now like that. I don't know if I ever will. George and I write the most back and forth. I could see myself with him, but it also just doesn't feel right. That part of me that wants to love someone is kind of missing and has been since the war.

"Thank you so much for the drink and conversation, Sofia," I say gathering my bag to leave. I don't exactly know where I am staying tonight. "Do you know of any places to stay close to here?" I ask her and she comes back to the front taking off her waitress smock.

"Oh, sweetie there isn't anything for miles. Why don't you come to stay with me for the night if you'd like? We have an extra room and my husband won't mind one bit!"