chapter 8

It is quite cold out today, but the crisp air is refreshing to me. The game is about to begin and I grip my broom while staying steady. Even though I'm the best keeper on the team, Ginny put me as seeker today since we are missing Harry. No one else was small enough or quick enough for the job.

I see Draco flying on the opposite end of the field just staring me down. Before the game, he cornered me and asked me why the hell I'm playing today. He said I'm still healing from last night, but honestly, I've never felt more ready to play.

I told him to stop trying to be my mum and he stomped away like a child. I don't understand him right now. Were we not just screaming at each other hours ago?

The horn goes off and the game starts. I fly around the field looking for the golden snitch, but don't see it yet. We are already losing. Ugh, this is what happens when I'm not keeper, but It is actually up to me now to win this for us. I like the pressure.

I sit still on my broom for a minute and look around. The snitch appears in front of me and before I can take off Draco is pushing me to the side and flying past me towards the snitch.

I take off and quickly catch up with him. He turns slightly to look at me and I take the opportunity to pass him. The snitch is right in front of me, so I balance myself with my left hand and reach out for it with my right hand. As soon as I get close to it and swipe my hand down, the snitch flys straight up in the air.

Draco and I look at each other then both fly straight up. The clouds are a dark grey color and I can barely see anything at this point. I spot the snitch and don't see Draco anymore, so I fly up a little higher. It gets about twenty degrees colder and my teeth are chattering. I reach out for the snitch and right before I grab it a dark figure is in front of me.

A dementor.

It gets right up to my face and I start to feel the faint feeling of my soul being sucked out of my body. Suddenly the dementor stops and flys off. It's weird for a dementor to just stop like that, unless...

I feel myself become dizzy and before I know it I'm slipping off my broom and falling straight through the sky. I'm still conscience and I know I'm about to fall to my death. It feels like slow motion almost. This isn't how I pictured myself going out.

The next two seconds are a blur as I stare straight up at the sky falling. Then I fall straight into a broom and grab it with my free hand, dragging whoever is on it down with me.

"Shit!" I hear Draco scream and grab ahold of the broom with his left hand. We are both hanging from his broom still thousands of feet in the air. The broom is staying surprisingly steady. Our feet dangeling below us.

"What the hell are you doing Greene?" He shouts looking over at me still hanging on with one hand.

"There was a dementor and I fell!" I scream back at him and I try to regain my slipping grip.

"I told you not to play today!" He screams.

"I don't think now is the time for I told you so's, I'm slipping!" He looks around then back at me. I show him the snitch in my other hand and he frowns.

"Jesus Greene let go of the snitch and grab the broom! I'm going to try and swing myself back on the broom then I'll pull you up."

"No way in hell I'm letting go of this thing!" I scream back and he shakes his head almost laughing at me. My hand is frozen around the broom and I can't even feel myself gripping it anymore. I should let go of the snitch. It would make things a lot easier to hold on with two hands, but I'm too stubborn to let go of the snitch. If I'm going through all of this, I'm going to win.

Draco struggles to pull himself up without moving the broom too much. When he finally swings his leg up the whole broom drops about two hundred more feet and I scream. He regains control and reaches his hand down to mine.

"Come on, you have to let go so I can pull you up," I look down and back up at him sitting on the broom. I'm not letting go of the snitch, so I risk it all. I let go with my hand that is holding the broom and Draco's eyes go wide. I begin to fall again and he fly's down trying to catch me, but I'm falling rapidly.

Suddenly I stop falling. It's like I've stopped in the air. I am close to the ground, but not touching it yet. I hear the crowd gasping around me when I finally hit the ground gently. I sit up and look around the field. Everyone is staring at me in shock. I look over to my left and see Ginny standing with my broom in her hand, mouth wide open. She runs over to me.

"What the hell happened? Are you okay? Your broom fell ages ago and we had no idea what happened to you!" She hugs me and looks to make sure I'm not injured.

Snape is rushing to the field and right behind him is Hagrid, McGonagall, and Lupin.

I look up at Ginny smiling and show her the snitch. Her mouth drops open again. I hand it to her and she holds it up in the air. The crowd goes crazy. I smile and look over at Draco who is standing on the field looking pissed off. When I make eye contact with him he storms off.

Before I even know what is happening, Lupin has me by the arm dragging me with him.

"Get your filthy hands off of me!" I scream at him, but he just ignores me and drags me towards the castle and through the halls while I'm still screaming for him to let go. He shoves me into an empty classroom and locks the door behind him. He turns around and I see the wild look in his eyes. Next thing I know he is hugging me way too tight.

"I thought you were dead Olivia," he whispers in my ear. I find myself relaxing into his arms, but then I remember how pissed I am at him. I shove him away.

"You thought I was dead? What about you? You haven't spoken to me or reached out in almost a year! If anything I would've thought you were dead if Snape hadn't told me you let him back into the Order, which makes no sense by the way! You didn't even give any of us a reason why! Not to mention you almost killed me last night!" I am screaming at him and I don't even realize the tears flowing from my eyes. He walks toward me slowly looking defeated.

"Olivia, I know I have a lot of explaining to do and I promise I will tell you everything. First I need you to tell me where Harry is." My mouth drops open.

"Really? How can I even trust you Lupin? Harry and I confided in you for years! You are the only father figure I had and you just abandoned me with no explanation!" I don't even bother wiping away the tears. Lupin has been like a father to me for years and him leaving me with no explanation hurt more then I've been admitting to myself. He walks over to me and grabs my hand. He looks at my arm that is bleeding from the wounds he left. He takes his wand out and whispers a healing spell.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. It was for your own good. It wasn't safe for me to be near you. Your parents, they found me and tried to get information out of me. They wanted to know how to get into Hogwarts through the protective barrier. I couldn't risk communication with you. They would've used you against me or me against you if they found out how close we really are. I couldn't risk that Olivia. I need you to understand."

I stare at Lupin who looks sincerely hurt and tired.

"I was just so angry, I thought you left me..." I manage to say through the tears.

I allow myself to cry in his arms and I relax for the first time in weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi! A very dramatic chapter with a ton of emotion. Draco is pissed (what's new?) and Lupin is back!!

Let me know your thoughts!

-Kiersten <3