~11~

AURORA ODINSDOTTIR

"What's the word on Strucker?" Steve asked Maria as we walked down the hallway.

"NATO's got him."

"Good." I nodded, looking at Maria.

"The two enhanced?"

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, twins." She replied, and I motioned for her to continue.

"Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special, but it's on the way to everywhere special."

"Their abilities?" I asked, and Maria looked at her clipboard.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." I nodded, kind of understanding, while Steve looked extremely confused, making me giggle.

"He's fast and she's weird." I clarified for him, making Maria chuckle and Steve nod in understanding.

"Well, they're going to show up again." He said, and I nodded in agreement.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts." Maria said in awe, and I looked at Steve, knowing he did a similar thing.

The elevator doors opened, and Steve motioned for me to walk in first, which I did, and he followed, turning to look at Maria.

"Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve asked, and Maria gave him a look.

"We're not at war, Captain."

"They are." He said, and the elevator doors closed, leaving us alone.

"So, coffee?" I asked, and the elevator started moving down as Steve nodded.

"I know a nice place, I'll take you there." He smiled, making me return the look.

"I'd like that."

•••

"What would you like?" Steve asked, and I eyes off the menu suspiciously.

"Mocha?" I asked, and he smiled, nodding.

"I'll have a cappuccino, she'll have a mocha, please." Steve said politely, and the employee nodded, typing some things in.

"You total will be ten dollars today, sir." She said, and Steve handed her a ten dollar note.

"You didn't need to pay for me, you know." I said, and Steve chuckled.

"I'm not sure they accept Asgardian currency, Aurora."

"You raise a good point." I giggled, and we walked outside, sitting down.

"So, what have you been doing the last two years?" Steve asked, and I placed my hands on the table, folded.

"Thor and I took Loki back to Asgard." I said, gulping at the thought of my dead brother.

"Yeah? What happened to him?" Steve asked, sounding genuinely interested, and I smiled.

"He was imprisoned."

"That's good." Steve nodded, and I didn't bother to tell him yet.

"Thor and I worked on bringing peace to the nine realms, but were attacked by another being who threatened to end your universe." I said, and Steve's expression contorted into one of realisation.

"That explains why Fury told us you and Thor were back. Very briefly, but you came back."

"I'm sorry for not coming and saying hi." I apologised, and he shrugged.