Part 18:

“So what’s going on with you and Damon?” Elena asked me.

I turned to look at her like she was crazy or something. “Seriously Elena?” I grimaced. How can she even think something would go on between Damon and me? I mean he is such a cocky bastard and I hate him. Why would anything be there between us? Is she mad?

“Yep…the way you were looking at each other was different.” She said defensively. I shrugged my shoulders and laughed at her.

“You know how much I dislike him. He irritates me. And I don’t like people who irritate me…” I clarified, still surprised at my best friend.

Damon’s POV:

“So, what just happened…?” my brother questioned, crossing his arms over his chest.

“What do you mean?” I put my hands in the air.

“What do you mean by Kris wanting you and all shit like that?” he asked. Oh here comes the ‘Stefan lecture’. I chuckled, “Seriously, brother? I can practically hear your girlfriend asking the same question to Kris.”

I frowned a little hearing her words, “You know how much I dislike him…” I shrugged it off as Stefan just scoffed.

“Whatever, Damon…just please don’t hurt her.” He said.

“What would you do if I did?” I asked. Not that I would. How could he think I would hurt her? Someone so close to dear Elena…? Okay, so he had a right to after all that went down with Caroline and me. But still. He should have a little faith in me. Not that I ever try to make him trust me.

“If you hurt her, I swear I’ll tear you limb by limb and rip your heart you.” He threatened.

I laughed, “Oh, I’m shivering in my boots.”

“Don’t doubt it.” He warned.

“Yeah cause last time you tried, you failed. Why? Cause you still love me.” I stated smirking. It felt good to tease Stefan and somewhere it also felt good to be loved.

“That was of the past. This is different.” He scowled. Obviously he wasn’t too happy with me reminding him of his weakness. He couldn’t kill me. I was his brother and no matter how much he tried to show that he hated me, he still loved me.

“Relax, brother. I won’t hurt Kristen. After all, your hell of a girlfriend wouldn’t stop whining about it.” I joked.

“See to it that you don’t, Damon,” he turned to leave but whirled around and faced me again, “Oh by the way, I’ve some filling in to do. Follow me.”

I raised my eyebrow and decided to follow him. Even though, he was always serious, I had never seen Stefan so bothered by something. I decided to follow him and find out for myself, what was troubling him. We reached a clearing in the forest. Stefan texted something to Elena then turned back to face me. He cleared his throat and told me everything that had happened yesterday - about some vampire compelling the barman to give a drink to Kristen, who by the way is underage. Knowing Mystic Falls, they took orders seriously so it was impossible for a barman to give an underage teenager a drink. Unless, that mystery man was a vampire…Wonderful! Just what I need on my long to-do list! I growled. Was it the man who was flirting with Kris? No, no. It couldn’t be. I would’ve sensed him. And moreover, he wouldn’t be so weak if he was a vampire. Looks like Kristen has to give me some answers. I decided to interrogate her later as I called up Alaric.

“Who are you calling?” my brother asked, frowning. Seriously, doesn’t he have another expression? I swear I’m gonna gift him an aging cream on his next birthday. I wonder if it will work. I mean, he has so many frown lines on his head that he definitely looks aged. Not that, it affects Elena. I wonder how she can put up with him. Then again, she was also a saint like Stefan. Giving out lectures, expecting me to be good, thinking I have humanity etc. She was no fun at all. I wonder how she would be as a vampire. If like a human she was so brooding and serious and all ‘go humanity!’ then I could only imagine her as a vampire. What with all feelings and thoughts amplified. She would definitely be no less than Stefan. Hell, she could be even more. I mentally noted down to never turn her and prevent anybody else from turning her. I couldn’t handle one more buzz-killing vampire on my hands. One was more than enough.