𝐢𝐢.

⠀⠀

LETHAL JOURNEY ࿐ྂ
           🏹ׅ۬∙           
ii. The Assassination
Attempt

THE MASQUERADE BALL HAS BEEN taking place for hours now, and even though every individual was having fun, Y/N couldn't get her mind off what happened a couple hours earlier with Lord Barron's son.

Tewkesbury would notice her tuning out from time to time. He was worried. Of course, who wouldn't be? The boy touched her arm and called for her.

"Y/N." — "Huh?"

"Are you all right?" He asked. The girl nodded. She then stared at the champagne glass in her hand making the boy shake his head, 'no'. "What's wrong?"

She looked at him once again, "You know you can tell me anything, Y/N." He continued.

Y/N sighed. "Lord Barron's son is here. He was my partner when we switched. Told me there are more enemies to face. It's," She took a sip of her drink, " . . . odd is all."

"Did you just say Lord Barron's son?" Tewkesbury asked, an unpleasant sensation starting to well up inside his chest. He found himself furrowing his eyebrows at the matter. The subject seemed awfully familiar, but there was only one way to find out. "He was your supposed fiancé, wasn't he?" He questioned.

L/N arched an eyebrow and pulled a slight smirk. "A child wouldn't mistake jealousy if they saw your face just a second ago. Penny for your thoughts, Tewkesbury?" She taunted. The girl put the champagne down the table of refreshments.

"Such a foolish mistake by the child, then." Tewkesbury denied. He looked away and cleared his throat.

"Don't take me for a fool, my lord." She smiled coyly.

"Wouldn't it be unhealthy for us?"

"Eunoia isn't your strong suit." They both chuckled as her fingers found their way to his, twining the pretty little things together.

Y/N leaned close to his side and whispered in his ear, "If you weren't such a tosspot, I'd say you're morbidly adorable when you're jealous."

The ear she whispered to flushed a great hue of crimson red. Have mercy on the boy as he couldn't compose himself. He started moving unnecessarily from the ecstatic feeling.

"Lord Tewkesbury, Y/N. I hate to cut your lovely time short, but I'm afraid it's time for the announcement." Lord Leucrion said. They both nodded and started to head to the stage hand-in-hand.

"I'm nervous."

"You're going to do great, Tewkesbury. I know it." Y/N muttered under her breath, greeting everyone with a smile she kept plastered on her face since she showed up in the event.

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" He asked.

"Everything." She answered. "All right, this is your time to shine. I will be right behind you. Do flash a long glance and I'd know when to step in."

As Tewkesbury stepped up to speak, Y/N felt strange. Like there was something amongst the crowd — she looked up at one of the private box seats.

There it was; a figure in there that she couldn't make up. It looked suspicious — gravely suspicious. Y/N quickly tapped Tewkesbury's shoulder. The boy stopped speaking as he turned to his worried lover.

The girl leaned close to his ear and started whispering, "I don't think my eyes are deceiving me. There is someone in the private box seats. I can't explain why, but I have a suspicion that what they came here for isn't good."