𝐯𝐢.

LETHAL JOURNEY ࿐ྂ
           🏹ׅ۬∙           
vi. Separate Journeys

Y/N WOKE UP TO the young lord gone. The sheets that were once warm and smelled of fresh summer faded in his absence. The girl abruptly sat up and turned in every direction to find him in fear that she may have lost the boy from recklessness to display themselves outside around the dark, hiding enemies for the sake of the glittering jewels up in the sky. She ran her fingers through her hair and stretched, yawning. Maybe the marquess just woke up earlier.

Suddenly, the door opened to reveal Tewkesbury in a nice new coat. He quickly walked over to the girl and kissed her forehead as she hugged him.

"Good morning," she said in a sleepy voice.

"Morning breath, darling." He replied and placed a small peck on her cheek. "I helped prepare breakfast a few minutes ago when you were still asleep."

"Thank you. Always the gentleman you are," she chirped and skipped happily to the elegant wooden table, taking a fork and stabbing the carrot, eating it.

Tewkesbury's chest started to pound and jitter when he saw this happy state of hers. He was scared to tell her the news. He slowly walked towards her in a gloomy manner.

"Y/N?"

"Yes?" She asked and turned to him, her mouth full of the meal on the plate he brought. "What is it?"

He chuckled nervously and held a missive written on the paper out for her to see. "My Uncle. He er — "

"Died?" The girl suspected.

"What?" He frowned and incredulously shook his head, following this motion with, "No, no. He's fine. I'm — He wants me to go back to Basilwether, Y/N."

The girl's smile faded as she swallowed her food. She then took a seat, looking away while mirroring his look. "I'm assuming you can't attend the tour with me?" She asked solemnly.

"I can't. But, you're independent and strong. I know you can do it." Tewkesbury said to slightly ease her, but no matter how hard he tried, he could see the slight disappointment in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled with a sigh. She looked at him and forced a smile.

"It's all right, Nitwit. It's not like we won't see each other for a year."

He only stared at her knowing damn well he would be gone for more than just a few months. "Right?"

Tewkesbury looked down in shame. "I'm afraid we won't see each other for indeed a year." He said.

Y/N almost choked on her saliva. She knitted her eyebrows together even more. "Why?"

"The manor. It was burnt down causing the other people's place to go down too. My mum's worried as well. My uncle wants to sell our estate and land for a better living somewhere in Spain. I can't have him go that far. I have so many matters to attend to. The borders assigned to my rule is having this ongoing territorial rivalry between my people and the other side. That's what caused the fire. The people there — they're scared, and they need me. I have to go back."

She put the fork down to its original place, sighing. "You can't have a break, can you?"

Y/N got on her feet and pulled him in an embrace to which he returned. The boy caressed the cotton fabric on her back, taking in the sight of her hair under the morning shine.