TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
' NO . '

Eddie couldn't shake the doubt as she followed a few distances behind Luther, Diego and Klaus. Something felt wrong, and she hugged her hands to her chest, worry clear in her eyes. Luther had tried to stop her from going with him and the others, but naturally, curiosity caught the better of her.

When she reached the bottom of the steps, she stopped dead as her eyes fell on Luther, who stood in front of a massive iron vault.

Immediately, she sprinted past them and towards the cage, pressing her broken fingers against the glass. "Vanya!"

She hit the door, screaming and crying, causing Eddie's eyes to water.

The redhead looked behind her to Luther. "Let her out! What the Hell are you doing?"

"Please," Luther began, slowly approaching her like she was a wild animal. "Just hear me out."

Eddie glanced at Vanya again but didn't speak.

"Vanya has powers," he blurted out.

"You locked up our sister because you think she has powers?" Diego repeated, not being able to look away from his crying sister.

"No, I know she does. Pogo told me. He's always known, and so did Dad," Luther rushed out, watching Eddie warily as he put his hand in his pocket. He ran his fingers over a wristband, his eyes attentive as he watched her every move.

"Why would they hide this from us?" Diego questioned. "I mean, am I the only one that didn't know this existed?"

"He hid so much from us," Klaus added quietly.

"He hid it because he was afraid of her." Luther nodded at his sister.

"Luther." Eddie tried to wrap her hands around the wheel that locked the vault closed, but her broken fingers wouldn't comply, and the pain nearly blinded her. "Luther! Please, for God's sake."

"She was the one who nearly killed Allison."

"People have gone insane from spending time in there, Luther!" Eddie's voice had never contained so much desperateness. Her eyes flickered down to Vanya's lips.

"I didn't mean to! Please! Let me out! I didn't mean to!"

"Eddie, get away. She's staying in there."

The room went cold.

So cold that ice began to form in a split second.

The lights flickered.

Eddie's eyes glowed violently in the darkness.

"No."

The wheel began to turn until it stopped.

A sharp hiss sounded.

Eddie's jaw went slack as her eyes widened, the room returning to its temperature and the lights brightening. She let out a ragged breath as a whimper left her throat.

Her gaze fell to her wrist, where Luther had secured a bracelet.

She swayed before her knees buckled and fell into his waiting arms, staring blankly at the ceiling, body not complying with her brain.

"No-" she croaked before her eyes rolled back, and her head fell against Luther's chest.

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

Eddie lay on her bed, her hands folded neatly over her stomach and eyes closed with dark circles surrounding them. The air surrounding her was tense and volatile - occasionally, an ornament would fly off a table, or a glass pane would crack.

The house violently convulsed, and dust began to fall from the ceiling as the building screamed in protest. Of course, the woman, who lay in the bed, was unaware of the impending doom surrounding her.

Hermes' pained shout erupted throughout the room, "You have to wake up!"

The door was thrown open, and Vanya stood outside, her complexion altered and mutilated by the raw power within her. Her white irises flickered down to land on her sister, and she blinked for a moment before she moved towards her. Placing a hand on her forehead, she pushed the hair that stuck to her brow away from her face and tilted her head.

"Thank you," she spoke, her voice slightly distorted. "Thank you for trying." She didn't move away immediately, staring at her sister's sickly appearance before she tore off the metal band around Eddie's wrist and turned away, moving to the door.

Vanya stopped in her tracks. "And I'm sorry." Her voice was softer, more human; then it vanished as she exited the room and continued on her path of destruction.

Eddie's eyes snapped open after a few painful moments. They were a vibrant green, glowing with intensity as they stared unfocusedly at the ceiling. A blast of energy erupted from her, and she let out a cry as she rolled off of the bed, coughing so much she nearly vomited. The static ratted the ends of her hair, making it stand on end in a frizzy mess. She slowly lifted her head as the house groaned.

She took a deep breath, choking on the dust hovering in the air. "Vanya."

The unfocus and confusion wore off, and she immediately hauled herself up. She wobbled slightly before moving to the door and throwing it open.

The house screamed in protest, and she whipped around with wide eyes. She shot forward, her feet carrying her down the stairs, but skidded to a halt when, almost in slow motion, Pogo fell from where he limply hung. She didn't react at first, her eyes widening before she raced past Vanya and to Pogo's side, not even looking her way.

"Pogo?" She dropped to her knees beside him, going to touch his head before stopping and lowering her head. Even now, she couldn't touch him.

She had to be brave.

Inhaling sharply, she placed her bandaged hand against his forehead. "Pogo? You gotta stay with me." Eddie wiped away a trickle of blood that fell from his mouth with her sleeve.

He gave her a small smile as he weakly grasped her hand. "Thank you, dear Edelyn," he managed. "Thank..." He trailed off before his eyes unfocused, and a final breath escaped him.

"Pogo?" she called, turning his hand over to try and find a pulse. "Pogo!"

A heavy exhale escaped her, and she lowered her head, gently resting his hands on his chest and looked upwards.

Large chunks of rubble began to fall from the ceiling. One began descending towards Eddie, but it stopped mid-air as her eyes glowed. She clenched her jaw and looked ahead, fury and grief blazing in her eyes. The Hargreeves mansion then gave way with one final groan of irritation.