three

T H R E E

what a feeling to be right here beside you now holding you in my arms

PEYTON LAID HER HEAD ON TOP OF LUKE'S LEG as he played slowly the strings of his guitar. His fingers moved softly, touching every string with patience, creating a beautiful melody.

"Green was the color of the grass where I used to read at Centennial Park. I used to think I would meet somebody there," he sang the lyrics as she closed her eyes, running her fingers through her hair. "Teal was the color of your shirt, when you were sixteen at the yogurt shop you used to work at to make a little money."

Luke glanced at his best friend as she was enjoying his singing. Could you imagine how this feels like for him? He likes her, so much, but he's so scared.

He's so scared of ruining their friendship with a simple moment, a simple bust of confidence could end in atrocity. Could he do it?

"Time, curious time. Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs. Were there clues I didn't see?" He continued to sing as she opened her eyes, looking to the clouds above them.

As he ended the song, he tossed his guitar to the side, looking at the ocean. Peyton also sat straight, looking at the view too. Next to them, some teenagers were playing volleyball, laughing and playing music out loud, but for Peyton's ears Luke's voice was the only one she could hear.

"So... senior year." Luke chuckled, trying to distract his hands by playing with his fingers. "What are you goals for your last high school year, Patterson?"

"Easy," he said, laying back on his arm, watching her do the same. "Success for the band..."

"Clearly," she whispered.

"Maybe pull a cool senior prank. Do something I've never done before. Learn how to draw." Peyton raised her eyebrows. "Hey you can help me with that. You are an excellent artist."

"I am not," she said, looking at her, "I'm definitely not."

"Yes you are, Tay... I've seen all your works, I've seen all of your drawings... You are incredibly talented."

"Ok, there is no need for you to make me blush," she mumbled, looking into his dark green eyes as he stared at her, like she was the only person in the entire beach. "So... band rehearsal."

"It's early, we can still hang out."

Peyton laughed. "Remember we have to pick up Ella, and she's not known for being quick." Luke nodded, picking up his guitar. "Hey, you didn't hear this from me but there's a girl over there who hasn't stopped looking at you since we got here."

Luke turned around to glance at the girl. She waved at him, and he simply nodded, looking at Peyton again.

"You should get her number. She's gorgeous."

"Uhm, I don't know..." Peyton raised her eyebrows. "She's not my type."

"Not your type?" She repeated, making him laugh. "Not your ty— Luke... I've seen thousands looking at you like that and you've always said they aren't your type. What is your type?" He look at her for a few seconds before bitting his lip.