thirty

T H I R T Y

I wonder what it's like to be loved by you

      MRS. PATTERSON WAS HOLDING HER BLACK CAMERA AS SHE WAS POINTING AT LUKE AND PEYTON.

"Ok! Smile!" Exclaimed the woman and both smiled widely. He had his hand placed on her waist while she was laying both hands on his shoulder.

Both with their graduation gowns, they were trying to hold their smile as their parents took photos of them.

"So your mom has no idea we broke up?" Murmured Peyton, still holding her smile.

"I haven't talked to her in months what did you expect?"

"I don't know. Maybe a warning?"

"I did warn you."

"You sneaked into my room fifteen minutes ago and told me. That's not a warning."

"Okay!" Exclaimed Emily. "Should we drive you—"

"No! Peyton and I will take the truck and pick up the guys. You can go behind. Bye bye."

Luke grabbed Peyton's hand and dragged her towards the truck. She quickly got in and Luke got in at the other side.

Ella was quick and jumped into the truck, just in time for Luke to start the car.

"We don't have to pick up the guys. Alex said he'll do it."

"Yeah, but they don't know that."

"When was the last time you guys talked?" Luke exhaled.

"Maybe when the album got out, I don't know."

"Luke that was months ago."

"I know..." He cleared his throat. "You wanna put music? Anything to avoid having this conversation? U2 maybe?"

"Well... we can talk about what happened."

Oh yeah, that night. It was two weeks ago yet, they both remembered it perfectly.

They haven't had a conversation about it or any long conversation really since it happened. And Peyton was dying to know what was he thinking about it.

"Ok, uhm... what happened... happened," was the thing he said. "Why? Do you want it to happen again?"

"What? No! I'm just... I don't want us to leave this in a bad place. It's been hell of a long breakup."

"Tell me about," he whispered, accommodating his graduation cap and the valedictorian stripes. "Tay..."

"I'm leaving, Luke." He nodded. "I'm leaving in two days and I really don't want to leave without making sure we are best friends."

"We are! We are best friends, we will always be best friends. You can't get rid of me."

Peyton smiled. "Good."

"Good."

They arrived to the school where they saw Alex and the other guys waiting for them. Luke was nervous. He was so nervous and the fact his parents where there wasn't making it easier.