twenty eight

arriving to the end... :)

T W E N T Y E I G H T

So casually cruel in the name of being honest

HONESTY.

How to describe a word so empty that's supposed to mean one of the purest qualities?

Because honesty is considered brave, kind, and good, when it's actually cruel, evil and dark.

Because even honest people lie everyday.

According to the internet, «we're lied to 10 to 200 times a day, and tell a lie ourselves an average of 1 to 2 times in the same period».

We lie, all the time, sometimes to hurt a person, sometimes... to save them.

Humans tend to be hypocrites and ask for honesty as a quality when they meet new people. We tend to demand the impossible, the thing that we can't achieve.

Because people tend to think, as Nicole Kidman said in The Interpreter, that not getting caught in a lie is the same thing as telling the truth.

Or that's what Luke thought as he battled with himself on what would be his next step after the truth he just told.

What do you do after you encounter this situation? After the girl you've dreamed about looks at you dead in the eyes as you confess your biggest fear.

"I'm not fine, Peyton."

Being honest after being used to lie is like when you get a bad grade after having perfect scores all semester. Or that's how Luke compared it.

"What do you mean you aren't fine?"

"I'm not... happy."

"You want to cry?"

"No."

"So... you aren't sad."

"I'm not sad, Peyton."

The girl exhaled, looking him. Her stare was burning him on the inside. He didn't know how to be more honest.

"You aren't sad," he shook his head, "but you aren't happy either."

"Yeah..."

"Do you want a hug?"

"I don't want a hug."

"Let me give you a hug."

"I don't want—"

"Hug me, Patterson!" She ordered.

"I need time!" He blurted out, surprising her.

Sometimes, you get so used to lying than you start believing it yourself. You are so used to creating a story that stops being a lie, but your shield, your cover.

And Luke has been hiding for too long.

"You need time from me?"