Chapter 17: Shock

THIS CHAPTER TOOK ME WAY LONGER THAN I WANTED IT TO, AND FOR THAT I AM SORRY TO ALL OF YOU; I’VE JUST BEEN SO BUSY. I’M SO GLAD TO KNOW THAT YOU LOVE IT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND FOR REVIEWING. IT MAKES ME HAPPY TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE MY WRITING. FEEL FREE TO REVIEW AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! KEEP BEING AWESOME!

 HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO READ!

  …

 NORTH’S POV

 Bunny hopped next to me. “I don’t know how much longer we can hold them mate.” He throws a boomerang and continues, “We can’t keep them from Jack and Sandy much longer.” He finishes the last sentence lifting his arm, catching the returning boomerang.

 His eyes look to the side, back to me, then dart back to the side; he turns his full body towards what he’s looking at.

 “North?” His tone of voice sounds panicked. “Where are Jack and Sandy?”

 …

 BUNNY’S POV

 I knew I didn’t like the bloody show pony, but I cared about his safety. The little bloke was growing on me.

 North turns his head rapidly looking for any trace as to where Jack and Sandy had disappeared to, looking for anything that could give us a clue as to where to find them.

 I hop around, looking as well.

 A bellowing voice sounds. “There!”

 I turn around to see North pointing into the distance.

 A glowing light clearly signifies that Sandy is there and I glimpse Jack close to him, but on a different roof.

 I prepare to jump off the roof onto another, but North extends his arm blocking my path.

 “No.”

 “Are you crazy mate?” I demand.

 He smiles slyly and saying simply, “No. We race.”

A smile creeps its way onto my face. “Is that a challenge?”

 Tooth appears, flying next to us. “What are you two wasting time for? Let’s just go!”

 North waves her off. “We go faster with more motivation, so we race.”

 Tooth rolls her eyes. “You can’t be serious.”

 I smirk. “Yes, we are. It’s going to be a race that I’m going to win!” I jump off the building and disappear in a tunnel, reappearing on another rooftop not far off, I look at North and Tooth who have finally decided to start.

 “Slowpokes!” I shout. 

 The fur on the back of my neck tingles, standing straight up.

 Slowly I spin around and see a Nightmare, face to face with me, with hundreds of others beside it.

 It looks behind be and neighs as it lifts its front legs.

 …

 NORTH’S POV

 My look of joy turns to one of fury as I see the Nightmares in front of Bunny.

 I jump through a chimney appearing in one and coming out another, getting closer to the pooka.

 Tooth flitters above me keeping up.

 I make eye contact with the Nightmare directly in front of Bunny.  It teeters on its back two legs and slams them back down aiming for Bunny.

 Bunny jumps out of the way yelling “Crikey!” He throws a boomerang, slicing through half a dozen Nightmares as they all attack.

 Tooth and I jump into action, demolishing every Nightmare in our path. I run on the rooftop, Sandy and Jack in my sights. They’re turning around, as if they’re looking for someone.

 Pitch.

 “Faster!” I yell, “We must get to them faster!”

 More Nightmares race toward us as we get closer to the two Guardians.

 From a distance I can see Pitch appearing and disappearing randomly.

 I stab my shashka into a Nightmare and pull it out, dissolving the horse figure. Flipping around I slice through four passing Nightmares.

 A single Nightmare charges me and I jump to meet it in the middle, as I jump I get a better view of the rooftops both Sandy and Jack are standing on.

 I let my guard down from pure and utter shock from what I have just witnessed. It courses through my veins.

 The Nightmare rams into me and I fall onto a rooftop and look up at the living nightmare before me.

 …

 JACK’S POV

 The next few moments occur in slow motion.

 I look at Sandy his eyes filled with terror at something behind me.

 Before I can turn around I freeze my eyes wide.

 I look down, a dark scythe protruding from my torso.

 It takes me a second to realize what has just taken place and I take in a withdrawn breath. It hurts and the pain starts to sink in.

 I hear a malicious chuckle from the Nightmare King behind me.

 Slowly I feel around the protruding scythe; I bring my fingers back to look at them, I see blood. Looking back down at my hoodie there is a spreading circle of crimson.

 The whole world begins to goes fuzzy.

 The scythe is twisted and yanked from my chest drawing a pained cry from me. I don’t remember opening my mouth.

 I wince; my legs tremble and slowly I fall to my knees, my now shaky hands find their way onto the fresh wound. I can feel the life spill out of me as fast as the blood is pouring from my mortal injury.

 I slump to the ground, and before I go, close my dimming blue eyes.