Chapter 18: 'I win.'

FIRST OFF, LET ME APOLOGIZE FOR THE SLOW UPDATES. YOUR REVIEWS ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAY.

SORRY IF THE CONSTANT POINT OF VIEW SWITCH GETS ANNOYING IN THIS CHAPTER, I JUST WANTED TO SHOW DIFFERENT PEOPLE'S REACTION TO JACK'S DEATH. (AND YES I DID KILL HIM)

AND PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR SWITCHING FROM PAST TO PRESENT TENSE, I'VE HAD A FEW PEOPLE POINT IT OUT, I PROMISE YOU, ONCE I'M DONE I WILL GO BACK AND FIX THAT. IT JUST GETS SO JUMBLED IN MY CRAZY MIND.

AS FOR THE CLIFFHANGERS, THAT'S JUST HOW I WRITE; IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN TO HEAR YOUR REACTIONS! *LAUGHS EVILLY*

SANDY'S POV

I watch in horror as Pitch appears behind Jack, I'm frozen, given no time to react. For just as quickly as he has appeared a scythe appears in his hands and he thrusts it into the winter spirit's form with ease.

I can feel tears begin to come into my amber eyes.

Jack screams and I watch as the scythe is twisted and viciously ripped out.

The mischievous winter spirit looks scared.

He falls to his knees and crumples to the ground. I watch the twinkle in his eyes quickly fade away and they slowly close.

My eyes brim with tears, I turn to Pitch, glaring at him.

"Whoops. Did you still want him? My bad." He smirks.

I feel my eyes narrow until they're nothing but slits.

"Clearly everyone thought you were the only one who could defeat me. It was only after 'killing' you I discovered there had been no need to kill you. Jack had been the real threat." He motions to the dead spirit. "That's why I tried to strangle him after your accident. I had almost finished him off when that blasted North mentioned-"

He stops. "Why am I telling you this?" He chuckles continuing. "Anyways. I saw Jack was the one I needed to kill, he was the only chance you had in defeating me. But no matter, I need not worry about him any longer."

I finally got past denial and grief; I skipped acceptance and returned to rage in a split second. I held it down, hoping the perfect opportunity would arise for me to attack the Nightmare King.

PITCH'S POV

After killing Jack I felt a surge of power.

I could feel it all around me. The other Guardians must be close; they most likely had seen the little show.

I glide over to the motionless Jack and wrap my slender fingers around Jack's staff.

I look over at Sandy and grin as I lift it, waving it in his face. "Guess he won't need this anymore." I glance at it. "I wonder if it will break now. Oh how I've been itching to try." I chuckle at the look of surprise on the little man's face.

"Oh yes, I've already attempted to break it. I guess Manny thought he still might need it at the time."

I twirl it around for a moment and bring it down over my knee.

I smile triumphantly as the snap rings through the air.

I laugh and throw the remains of the staff on Jack. "Don't give me that look Sandy. I had to kill him." I pause. "I think it's time to take out the trash." I motion with my hand, black sand slithering towards the broken figure.

I briefly see stars and pain shoots through my jaw.

I scoff smirking. "Ah, Toothiana, it's so nice of you to join us." I notice the rest of the Guardians and look over at Sandy seeing that he's guarding the body of Jack from my black sand. I wave it off. "He's already dead"

Bunny snarls. I'm surprised to see him near tears.

"You're the one who's dead mate."

BUNNY'S POV

I bite my bottom lip to keep it from quivering. My paws clenched into fists.

"Aw, you do care Bunnymund." Pitch looks over at Jack. "The sentiment came rather late don't you think?" He chuckles.

"Quit your chin wagging!" I lunge at Pitch.

The air is knocked from my lungs and I slump to the ground, only to be lifted up by grainy black sand, gripping my tightly, immobilizing me.

Tooth attacks Pitch next, giving another quick punch to his jaw.

A tooth is knocked from out of his mouth, Baby Tooth, picks it gently off of the ground.

I turn my attention back to Tooth, she pushes him to the ground and he drops his scythe, kicking her to the side, she hits a wall and falls to the ground. Pitch stands up.

North stays put pulling out his shashkas. Sandy remained near Jack, not leaving his side.

Pitch's eyes flicker between the two, he picks up the scythe pointing it at North.

He smirks. "Give it your best, old man."

North charges Pitch.

The sound of metal on metal scrapes throughout the rooftops.

North slices upwards and Pitch parries it easily, looking almost bored.

"From the world's best swordsman I expected a little more from you."

North looks distraught, swinging wildly at Pitch. He brings both of his shashkas down, the weapons clash together. Pitch leans down getting face to face with North.

He pushes North back, causing him to fall to the ground, and walks over to him, I struggle against the bonds.

Pitch tilts the bloodstained blade of his scythe under North's chin. Two haunting words come out of his mouth.

"I win."

NORTH'S POV

I glance at the blood on the scythe; it was Jack's!

Rage boiled deep within me. I could feel it. In my belly!

I see Sandy; he looks torn between helping me and protecting Jack's body. I look at him, my eyes filled with sorrow, urging him to stay next to Jack. Dead or alive, we should never abandon him again.

I glare at Pitch, the tension growing.

3RD PERSON POV

Everything froze.

No one noticed the single beam of moonlight slowly drifting down.