12 - The Hufflepuff's Invitation

When we boarded the train for our fourth year, I was dismayed to see Pansy joining us in the compartment.

Ugh; I'd forgotten about that bitch.

"Drakie! Did you miss me?"

I was secretly pleased to see the look of horror flicker on Draco's face as she launched herself upon his lap.

"Did you hear?" She screeched looking excitedly between Draco and I as her arms snaked possessively around his neck.

"Hear what?" I sighed, trying not to look directly at it.

"Daddy says there's going to be a Triwizard Tournament held this year," she paused dramatically looking gleefully for our reactions.

When she got nothing, she continued. "In Hogwarts!"

"I wonder if Potter knows?" Draco pondered. "I'll expect he'll enter. Never misses a chance to show off."

"Drac," I sighed, tiredly rubbing my forehead, "you hear that our school's going to host one of the biggest events in the wizarding world ever, and your first thought is whether Harry Potter knows about it? Dude, just admit you love him already."

"I do not love him!" Draco roared getting immediately to his feet, causing Pansy to topple ungracefully to the floor. "Come on boys, let's go for a little walk."

Crabbe and Goyle immediately leapt to attention and hastily followed him out, stepping over a whimpering Pansy as they did so.

Twenty minutes later, they returned, Draco looking smug about something.

"You went to see him, didn't you?" I smirked knowingly up at him.

His pale face instantly coloured as he avoided my gaze.

"I knew it," I muttered, shaking my head. "Just make sure I get to be your Best Woman. I've got a great speech planned for the wedding."

Draco's eyes immediately met mine; flashing wickedly as a smirk twitched at his lips.

"Pansy, move along would you?" he demanded, beckoning down to where Pansy was sat next to me.

Pansy looked up startled, her bottom lip jutting out. "But... why?"

"I want to sit next to Blaire," he said unapologetically.

Crestfallen, Pansy slid across towards the door, leaving the middle seat free. Draco claimed it without so much as a thank you, and turned to me, pulling out a pack of cards from his pocket.

"For that, Zabini, you can play me a game." He said, expertly shuffling them without waiting for a response.

"What are you doing?" Pansy asked at once, trying desperately to peer over his shoulder. "Can I play too?"

"Sorry, Pansy," Draco drawled coolly, "it's a two player game only."

I found myself feeling inexplicably sorry for her when her lower lip started to quiver. As much as I didn't like the girl, Draco's cruel dismissal of her didn't sit quite comfortably with me, especially after he'd been so into her the previous year.

"Drac," I warned, giving him a scathing look.

"Fine," he grumbled, glancing resignedly back at Pansy, "watch how we do it first and then you can join in on the next game."

Pansy's face lit up in an instant; delighted at not being excluded.

"You know, one of the traditions of the Triwizard Tournament is for the hosting school to have a Yule Ball," Pansy started wittering on, not concentrating on our game in the slightest. "I've already got my dress; Daddy spent an absolute fortune on it. Of course you won't be able to see it until the night, Drakie, but I have some fabric swatches you can use to customise your outfit to match mine."