46 - A Very Ferret Christmas

"I'm not wearing it!"

"Yes you are because I paid good money to get it made especially for you."

"Well you needn't have bothered because there is no way in hell I'm ever going to put it on!"

"Look, wearing it can be your Christmas gift to me. Please, come on! We are like the only students here. The teachers will love it. Besides, I got myself one too and I'll be wearing mine. Different design, of course."

In the end Draco grudgingly went back to his room, whilst I quickly disappeared back to mine.

Five minutes later we were stood back in front of one another, Draco's face filled with horror.

"Very fetching," I said, nodding my head impressively as I admired my gift to him.

For instead of his usual black tie and shirt, Draco was wearing a dark green knitted jumper decorated with little white ferrets in Santa hats.

"But yours is just plain red!" Draco spluttered.

"Patterns don't really suit me," I shrugged, smoothing my hands down my sides, happy with the flattering fit.

Draco muttered something under his breath about 'Gryffindor lover' as he huffily crossed his arms.

"Now come on you cute ferret," I said brightly, playfully pinching a cheek on his scowling face, "let's get to the Hall in time to see Dumbledore carving the turkey. We wouldn't want to miss him asking Snape whether he's a breast or leg man."

*****

I made sure to pile Draco's plate high with turkey and roast potatoes.

When he gave me a funny look, I just shrugged and told him I was looking after him. He said nothing but instead found my hand under the table and gave it a gentle squeeze as his eyes twinkled warmly into mine.

I noticed he still didn't eat much, but he at least looked less broken than he'd done in ages; the greying tinge to his skin already having vanished.

The teachers all chatted merrily amongst themselves as we sat with them at the long table; each of their faces becoming rosier and rosier as wine was consumed in copious amounts.

I realised not one of them seemed in the least bit concerned about Draco's appearance or once asked him if things were okay.

The only teacher that showed any signs of acknowledging him was Snape, who every once in a while just glowered in his direction as Draco did his best to ignore everything except for the food on his plate and me.

The teachers in Hogwarts were such dicks.

Afterwards, when we got back down to the empty common room, Draco told me to wait on the sofa whilst he quickly disappeared into his room. He emerged later with a deck of cards in his hands.

"I'm afraid the monopoly board is still in the treehouse," he explained apologetically as he sank down heavily onto the sofa next to me, "but I've missed playing cards with you, Zabini. So, what do you say - best of five?"

I grinned, my heart swelling with love at hearing him say those words again. And, as I watched him expertly shuffle and deal the cards, I saw a glimpse of the golden haired boy who had asked to share a compartment together on that very first day.

"What?" He asked, noticing me watching him.

"Nothing," I smiled, shrugging my shoulders, "just thinking that I'm glad you asked me to sit with you all those years ago."

A sort of wistful look flickered in his eyes as he lowered his cards down and reached a hand up to brush my hair behind my ear. "You and me both, Zabini," he said, his voice hoarse and thick with emotion.