37 - Kryptonite

As soon as Draco reached me, he skidded to a halt; hesitating slightly as if unsure whether to hug me or not.

"Blaire," he breathed, his chest rising and falling heavily beneath his perfectly fitted black suit, the scent of his cologne hitting me almost at once.

I found my heart fluttering maddeningly as his grey eyes twinkled into mine; a smile twitching upon his lips.

My own lips pulled into a helpless smile in return, feeling ridiculously pleased to see him.

"Blaire, darling! Thank Merlin you're here!"

I immediately looked up over Draco's shoulder to see Narcissa hurrying out of the Manor towards us, looking as beautiful as ever with her black dress and silver hair billowing hauntingly behind her.

The second she reached us, Draco moved aside so that she could immediately pull me to her.

An unexpected wave of emotion came over me as I hugged her back, realising only in that moment just how much I needed it; a mother's embrace. Even if it wasn't my own.

"Darling, I wish you could have told us about your silly mother," Narcissa said, pulling back to cup my face in her hands. "Haven't I already told you that you're welcome here any time? Our home is always your home."

"I didn't want to be an inconvenience to you," I confessed, my eyes darting guiltily up at Draco who stood a little way back looking suitably uncomfortable, "what with Lucius-"

"Nonsense, dear child," Narcissa spoke fiercely, pressing her lips ardently against my forehead. "You can never be an inconvenience to me... to us."

"Thank you," I whispered, feeling a horrendous guilt as an involuntary image of me riding her son flashed in my mind.

"Now, I'll have your things sent to the treehouse." Narcissa said in a brusque authoritative manner that somehow made me feel safe; relief that an adult was taking charge. "Given the- um... circumstances; I feel it's best if you stay there. An awful lot of dull meetings are going on in the Manor at present and I wouldn't want you to feel in the way. Draco will be keeping you company, of course."

This time I dared not even meet his eyes; terrified of what might be written all over my face.

She sent us off, apologising profusely about being needed in the Manor.

Draco and I immediately headed towards the treehouse; a loaded silence between us.

"I brought Monopoly." I said, desperate to defuse the tension. "Thought it might help pass the time what with the PlayStation being too 'Muggley'."

"Sounds good," Draco murmured, his hands deep in his trouser pockets as he walked alongside me.

I could sense him glance down at me, and I dared look back, meeting his eyes. Almost immediately, the atmosphere thickened and I found myself hurriedly looking away again.

"You could have told me," he said, his voice somber and downbeat, "about your mother, I mean. I'm supposed to be your best friend, Blaire."

"I didn't want to burden you," I shrugged coolly. "You've got enough going on."

The change in his demeanour was instant, like someone flicking a switch.

"For fuck's sake, Blaire," he spat vehemently, waves of fury emanating from him so profusely, I could feel it. "Stop trying to be so fucking 'chill' all the time. I wish you'd get that I actually care about you and I want to help you. Does five years of friendship mean fuck all to you?"