29 - The Mental Bitch

Umbridge was, just as I had predicted, a mental bitch.

"Your father wants us to openly support this moron?" I spluttered after her impromptu and frankly embarrassing speech at the start of year feast.

"She represents the Ministry," Draco explained quite unnecessarily whilst topping up my plate with carrots. "It's vital to my father that the Malfoy's are seen to be supporting Fudge."

"But why?" I asked exasperatedly. "What difference does it make to him?"

"Come on, Blaire," Draco murmured darkly, dropping his voice, "you know why. And above all, the Malfoy's reputation is important to him."

Fucking Lucius and his stupid Malfoy reputation.

I was shattered by the end of dinner and looking forward to checking out my new sleeping quarters. As prefects, however, our day was not done and we had to help lead the Slytherins down to the dungeons and ensure that the terrified first years didn't get lost.

"Man, they look so dinky and cute," I observed as their trembling little faces looked up expectantly at us, waiting to be told what to do. "Surely we weren't like that?"

Draco shrugged, already looking bored by proceedings.

"Come on, then," he said in a demanding tone, clicking his fingers irritably down at the startled newbies, "and don't dally. I like to walk fast, and Draco Malfoy waits for no one."

And with that, he wheeled on the spot, his robes billowing dramatically behind him as he began to stride on.

"Don't be such a prick, Drac," I muttered, rolling my eyes, and causing a couple of the first years to giggle nervously.

I grinned back at them, giving them a friendly, conspiratorial wink before beckoning them on to follow behind.

My bedroom was fucking massive. I literally couldn't believe it. It even came with its own attached bathroom. And the best thing was, I no longer had to suffer the sounds of Pansy's and Millicent's combined snoring.

Draco couldn't enter my room due to it still being a part of the girls dormitories, and therefore forbidden to boys; but luckily, however, I could still go and badger him in his.

"I love being a prefect!" I sighed, falling back onto his huge mattress with my arms outstretched like a starfish.

"I told you it had its benefits," he murmured whilst busily unpacking his trunk. "What's your room like?"

"The same," I shrugged. "I can't wait to check out this special bathroom. I heard a rumour that it's got over a hundred different taps."

"Mmm hmm," Draco hummed absentmindedly as he continued to carefully hang up his suits in the wardrobe.

"Ugh, I wish we didn't have to start classes first thing," I grumbled, sitting up so that I was now sat on the edge of his bed. "I can't wait to just spend the whole day lazing about in the bath amongst the bubbles. Can you just imagine?"

Draco picked up the shirt he'd clumsily dropped to the floor, frowning as he hastily tried to brush out the creases.

"Yeah," he said, his voice coming out a strange strangled noise as he quickly dived back into the wardrobe, "sounds, uh, good."

"You alright, Drac?" I asked, frowning at his back. "You sound a bit odd."

Draco said nothing as he slowly and deliberately stepped back out and closed the wardrobe door.

"I'm a bit tired actually," he eventually said, rubbing the back of his neck as he turned to face me, not quite meeting my eye. "I think I'll have a shower and turn in, if you don't mind."