64 - Don't be a Prat

The sounds of the battle instantly vanished the second the door slammed shut; replaced by a thick, unnerving silence that pressed against their ears.

Draco, his chest rising and falling heavily, looked to his left where Blaire was stood by his side; reassuring himself of her presence.

He hated that this was how they were reunited; hated that he couldn't just grab and take her somewhere safe; away from this place that was suddenly the most dangerous place in the world.

But he needed to get his fucking wand. He couldn't protect her without it.

Although, he thought as he focused upon Blaire's fierce determined face, she was always much stronger than he'd ever given her credit for.

"Let's get the fucking git," Goyle growled to his right, sounding not unlike a rabid dog.

"Shush!" Draco spat, irritation sparking in his stomach. "We mustn't give him warning that we're here."

They crept forward amongst the towers of junk with their wands held aloft, Draco trying not to shudder as he was reminded of the horrific year he had spent in this room; a time he'd been robbed of spending the remainder of his childhood with Blaire.

"I hear something," she murmured quietly in his ear, the sweet tickle of her breath making him shiver quite unexpectedly. "Listen."

Draco strained his hearing, and there indeed was the muffled sounds of talking followed by hurried footsteps.

He quickly led the way around a tottering tower of desks and down a row of bookshelves.

And there he was - Potter; his back to them as he reached up for something. Slowly, the three of them raised their wands, ready.

"Well, well," Draco drawled softly, yet loud enough to be heard, "what brings you here, Potter?"

Potter span round and Draco was pleased to see the startled look of fear flash in his eyes.

"I could ask you the same." He answered, quickly recovering himself.

"You have something of mine." Draco sneered, beckoning down to the wand sticking out of Potter's pocket. "I'd like it back."

"What's wrong with the one you have?"

"It's my mother's. It's powerful, but it's not the same. It doesn't quite... understand me. Know what I mean?"

Another pause as Potter seemed to consider him. To Draco's dismay, it didn't look as though he was going to concede the wand without a fight which is the last thing he wanted to do.

"Please, Harry," Blaire implored, "just give Draco his wand back. I'm sure he'll let you borrow his mother's in the meantime."

Draco tried his hardest not to splutter his indignation.

"Why didn't you tell her?" Potter eventually asked, ignoring Blaire as his eyes remained fixed intently upon Draco.

What the fuck was Potter banging on about now? Draco was starting to lose his fucking patience. He could hear Goyle snarling quietly next to him; thirsty for blood. If he didn't act quickly then this could turn very ugly.

"Bellatrix." Potter continued, almost goading; almost... flirtatiously. "You knew it was me. But you didn't say anything."

The tension in the atmosphere was so thick as he and Potter continued to outstare one another, that Draco was in no doubt that you could slice a knife through it.

"C'mon, Draco," Goyle hissed in his ear, ruining the moment. "Don't be a prat, just do 'im."

Draco tried to hide his panic, his wand hand beginning to twitch. As his eyes met Blaire's, he was about to signal to her that they should just leave, when Granger jumped out of nowhere.