44 - Take My Lead

"Remember, one guest only," Slughorn beamed as he held up a single pudgy finger, "to be pre-approved by yours truly, of course."

The room immediately filled with murmurs as everyone began to discuss suitable candidates for this much anticipated Christmas party.

"Oh dear," Hermione said, offering me a pitying look as she glanced up from her chocolate gateaux, "I guess that counts Malfoy out then."

I smiled faintly; not bothering to explain that it would be a waste of my time even asking him.

A familiar uneasy feeling twisted in my stomach. Since the Katie Bell incident, I'd been watching Draco more closely, and there definitely was a noticeable deterioration to his whole demeanour.

The exhaustion in his face and the thinning of his frame was quite frankly frightening me. I was desperate to approach him about it and offer him my support, but then I'd remember Narcissa's warning about leaving him be for his own safety.

I briefly considered writing to her, to tell her of my concerns; but then I quickly dismissed the idea through fear of somehow endangering Draco's life further.

"Well, I suppose Ron will expect an invite," Hermione continued, bringing me out of my thoughts, "not that he deserves it; always so scathing about the fact Harry and I are in the Slug Club."

"Oh come on, Herms," I said, rolling my eyes, "the dude is clearly just jealous; just put him out of his misery and invite the poor sod."

I couldn't believe how delusional she was to the fact that not only was Ronald Weasley utterly besotted with her; she was completely in love with him too.

The image of Draco flashed in my mind again, and I felt a horrific, unexpected pain in my chest.

Fuck, I missed him. And no, I didn't just miss the sex, but I missed simply being in his company; I missed my best friend.

And I made my decision; if I couldn't take Draco to the party, then I wouldn't take anyone.

I was my own person after all, and going alone meant I could yeet the fuck out of there the second I got bored without explaining myself to anyone.

A notion that seemed to be quite lost on Hermione who, in the light of Ron's new 'relationship' with Lavender Brown, agreed to go with Cormac McLaggen instead.

"I was desperate!" She explained when I discovered her hiding fretfully behind some drapes.

"You don't say," I sighed, shaking my head as I slipped her a Butterbeer.

"You look stunning, by the way," Hermione said as her eyes swept impressively over my gold sparkly dress which showed off my legs perfectly.

"Cheers," I shrugged, already knowing I did. "You scrub up pretty well yourself. Not that it matters seeing as you are choosing to spend the entire party hidden out of sight."

"Oh, but he's so disgusting," Hermione shuddered, peering out fearfully for any sign of him. "He keeps trying to grab my bottom and stick his tongue in my ear."

"I could kick his arse for you, if you want?" I offered. "See how he likes to be manhandled against his wishes?"

"No, I don't want any trouble; I'm happy to just stay here until he gets bored of looking for me."

"Suit yourself," I muttered, turning to leave. "But if you don't mind I'm going to go and mingle. I didn't spend five hundred Galleons on this dress just to hide behind some gaudy looking curtain."