26 - Little Orphan Harry

I watched in horror as Cedric collapsed into a heap on the ground; his body crumpling as though in slow motion.

My heart felt like it had stopped. Memories of the previous night had somehow been erased from my mind as I leapt over the benches, desperate to get to him, desperate to make sure he was okay.

"Cedric!" I cried as I ran towards him, panic tearing at my lungs, feeling as though I couldn't breathe.

Call me an idiot. Call me a pathetic bitch. Call me whatever you please.

But remember, I had thought only hours before that I was falling in love with this boy. I had given months of my life adoring him and wanting him; he had been my king and I thought I had been his queen.

I fell to the ground beside him, my hands desperately shaking his still body, trying to rouse him, begging him to open his eyes.

"Cedric," I cried, tears falling down my face. "Wake up; please, wake up!"

A groan issued from dry cracked lips and eyelids fluttered opened; grey, bloodshot eyes staring up into mine.

Trembling hands reached up to cup my face. At first I thought he was going to kiss me, but instead he turned my head to the side and brought his lips up to my ear.

"It's your fault, bitch," he hissed, his voice like venom; dripping poison coldly down the length of my spine, "it's all your fucking fault."

*****

Nobody quite knew what had gone on during that night of the third task.

The first I heard mention about Harry Potter's extra 'adventure', I was curled up on the Slytherin common room sofa, Draco by my side; watching me with a careful expression upon his face.

It had been only hours since the tournament had ended. Draco, who had sprinted down after me when I had ran to Cedric, pulled me away from him the instant the cruel words were hissed in my ear.

It was lucky for Cedric that the medics and his father had reached him by then because Draco looked as though he was going to stomp on his already bloodied face.

Instead, Draco and I quietly slipped away, returning to the peace of the dungeons where I went straight to the sofa to sit out my mood. Draco remained with me, warding anyone off who tried to ask me about Cedric.

It was Theodore Nott, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle who alerted us about Harry Potter.

"What do you mean?" Draco spat as Theo approached us; declaring it was time to shut Harry up for good.

"I think you know exactly what I mean." Theo growled, his eyes glinting maliciously down at him as Crabbe and Goyle simultaneously cracked their knuckles behind him.

I looked up startled; wondering what the fuck was going on.

"Leave it," Draco snarled, his eyes narrowing warningly up at Theo's. "Not here."

Theo's piercing blue eyes glanced down at me. It was clear that Draco did not want whatever was going on to be discussed in front of me.

Sighing heavily, Theo beckoned to Crabbe and Goyle and the three turned around and left us alone.

I looked to Draco, raising an inquisitive eyebrow. But he refused to explain; feigning ignorance when I asked him what Theo had meant.

He seemed only intent on shielding me from further pain; which was evident the following morning at breakfast.

"Turn around, turn around now," he demanded suddenly, wheeling round to halt my progress  as we entered the Great Hall.

"What? Why?" I queried, trying to peer around Draco's chest as he attempted to push me back out into the Entrance Hall.