27 - The Summer of Changes

My eyes kept flitting over to Draco as we sat slumped in our seats on the train journey home.

I couldn't help but feel anxious for him; ever since Harry's revelation about his 'list', Draco had become withdrawn, his features more pale and tired than ever.

He never said it out loud but I could tell he was afraid of going home; afraid of the kind of life his father had forced him and his mother into.

"It's all lies," he maintained fiercely to anyone that would listen. "Potter is just a deluded twat."

But I could see he didn't believe that any more than the rest of us did. Harry was so smug, so self assured in his allegations, that there was no way he wasn't telling the truth.

"Hey," I said, gently nudging my foot against his shin, "any new games waiting for us in the treehouse this summer?"

He lifted his head, his eyes widening slightly. "You still want to come?" He asked, his voice a tone of surprise.

"Of course I do, Drac," I said, my lips tugging into a smile. "It's the highlight of my year, you know."

Draco's own lips twitched up at the corners.

"It's mine too," he murmured, his silver eyes twinkling as they looked back into mine.

It was a shame that the moment was ruined by Pansy bounding in and jumping on his lap.

******

The summer holidays were fraught. I kept checking the Daily Prophet, looking out for any news on Voldemort's return, but nothing seemed to come of it.

I was relieved when Mum didn't kick up a fuss about me visiting a likely Death Eater's home. Her only grumble about it was that I wouldn't be around to mix her gin and tonics.

"But darling, you've gotten so good at it! Bernard is utterly dreadful, always hacks at the cucumber so that I end up with pips stuck to my lips with every sip."

It had been a long six weeks at home when I finally rocked up at Malfoy Manor; ready to spend the tail end of the summer with Draco.

"Blaire, darling!" Narcissa greeted me, enveloping me in her arms as I stepped out of the black car that the Malfoy's had sent to fetch for me and my belongings.

"Merlin, you have grown so much," she gushed, standing back to look at me properly, like a proud aunt or grandmother would. "Quite the beautiful young woman these days."

I smiled, not really sure how to answer this. I wasn't used to being complimented by mother figures; well, except for when it came to praising my ability to mix cocktails, that is.

"Thank you for having me again," I said instead, my eyes scanning the perimeter of the Manor, hoping for sign of my best friend.

"You don't have to thank me," Narcissa smiled kindly, guiding me up the steps towards the front entrance, "you know we love having you here; you're like one of the family."

I was pretty sure Lucius didn't share that same sentiment, however.

"Where's Drac?" I asked, hoping we could go straight to his treehouse. As much as I loved Narcissa, I didn't relish the thought of bumping into his father.

"He'll be here," Narcissa assured me as we made our way to the kitchen. "I know he's been looking forward to your arrival all summer. I'm hoping he'll even stop moping around now that you're here."