16 - The Slytherin Princess

Draco looked at his reflection, frowning as he straightened his pink bow tie.

"Nice colour, mate," Nott chuckled as emerged from the bathroom, sauntering into the dorm wearing traditional black and white dress robes. "Really brings out your stunning eyes."

"Fuck off, Nott," Draco muttered, wishing he'd just put his foot down when Pansy had insisted on a matching colour scheme.

He couldn't help but wonder what Potter was going to be wearing. No doubt something that would yet again steal all the attention. And he didn't even want to let his mind go to Diggory...

Giving himself a mental shake, Draco swiftly made sure his pink handkerchief was sitting just right in his breast pocket, before wheeling on the spot and striding for the door, doing his best to ignore a sniggering Nott.

Predictably, Pansy was standing outside, bouncing excitedly on the balls of her feet, looking sufferingly eager.

"Oh, Drakie!" she squealed, excitedly clapping her hands together, "we're going to look amazing next to each other!"

Draco grunted, allowing his eyes to sweep her gown. There was a lot of pink. He tried his hardest not to show his distaste; after all, she'd be expecting him to compliment her.

"You look... nice," he said, eventually; hoping he'd sounded sincere enough.

She seemed happy enough with this compliment, however; jumping into his arms and filling Draco's nostrils with such a strong scent of sickly sweet perfume, he had to try not to gag.

"Where's Blaire?" he asked, scanning the common room over the top of her head.

He was curious as to what she was going to wear; she had been mysteriously tight lipped about it when he had enquired about it before, unlike Pansy, who had rabbited about every single minute detail of her sodding dress right down to the last fucking frilly pink bow.

For some reason he couldn't fathom, he felt apprehensive about what Blaire was going to wear, especially as she was going to be thrust in the limelight given who she was going with.

An unpleasant burning sensation simmered in the pit of his stomach when he thought about him.

Draco didn't like it one bit. Diggory was far too old for her, it wasn't right. If he himself, a fourteen year old male, was starting to think about sex a lot, then what the hell was going to be going through a seventeen year old's mind?!

No doubt Diggory was probably expecting it; more than likely had already done it. Whereas Blaire hadn't even kissed anyone yet.

Although, Draco guessed, with a sickening realisation, that probably wouldn't be the case for much longer.

Blaire was undoubtedly a beautiful girl. Draco noticed it, of course he did - he wasn't blind. And yet, he hated that she was; it made him terrified that he was somehow going to lose her. Especially when he noticed the way other people looked at her these days, as though she was some sort of exquisite dessert for their eyes to greedily feast upon.

He wanted to shield her from it, to keep her safe from their predatory looks. She was his Blaire, and only he saw the real her. There was nothing superficial about the way he looked at her, all he saw was his best friend whom he'd kill for it ever came to it.

"She's on her way," Pansy tittered, bringing his attention back. "I don't think much of her dress, though. It doesn't really fit with the traditional 'ball' theme. Although be kind when she comes out, it's probably best she doesn't realise how 'wrong' she looks."