Truth

Ever felt like dying to know about something but too afraid to ask because the answer might be the opposite of what you want to hear?

Jennie felt like a bullet hit her, digging a hole in her chest. Her worst fears had come true.

I did, Jen. I did.

Irene's words continuously reverberated in her head. Her eyes were staring blankly at Irene. What would happen to her now if Irene wants Lisa back? Does she have the right to say no?

This is the first time in her life she felt something like this. However, she's not sure how to define it. Is she afraid? Worried? Anxious? Jealous? What is clear to her is she felt alone, and no one can help her get up, no one but Lisa.

"She was my first love, Jen," Irene continued, her eyes on the floor. "Unfortunately, she was dumb enough to recognize it."

It took Jennie few more seconds before she even thought of saying something. "Was that.. was that the reason you left?"

"Mmm.. partly yes.." Irene nodded. "I don't see hope in us. I don't even think she feels the same way for me. So when the opportunity for my dream career came knocking at my door I took it right away, without hesitation."

"But.. but she.. she loved you..." Jennie found it hard to say those words.

"She could've, but I'm not sure." Irene shrugged. "She cared for me --- yes --- but I know it was never like what I felt for her."

"How can you say so?"

"Because I've felt it. And when you came into the picture, I saw the proof that I was right."

"What do you mean?"

Irene smiled wearily. "Lisa never looked at me the way she looks at you, Jen."

Jennie was frozen from where she's sitting. She's wondering how in the world Irene can see such things when in fact they are only pretending.

"Which reminds me that I should apologize for my behavior towards you." said Irene, rubbing a hand on her left arm. "I know I've done something to offended you. I'm so sorry."

"Were you... jealous of me?"

Irene chuckled at that. "I don't know if it's jealousy. My pride just can't accept the fact that Lisa took the courage to be with you when you've only known each other for five months. I've been with her for four years and she never did that."

Jennie brought a hand to her lips. She felt guilty again because what Irene believes about their relationship is just a big lie.

"She loves you, Jen. I can see it in her."

Jennie is just speechless, unsure how Irene can see such things.

"There are a lot of things that Lisa had never done to me before that she's doing to you now," said Irene. "That couple necklace, that henna tattoo, Lisa was also never a fan of saying 'I love you' before but just a while ago she told me that she's in love with you."

Ah, really?

Surprisingly, Jennie didn't feel awkward about it. In fact, she thought it was sweet. She knows though that Lisa did it as part of the script.

"Well, she actually said it to me because she thought I was you," said Irene. "I was about to leave your room when she grabbed my wrist and called me 'Jennie'."

"And then?"

"Her words were very slurred though, but I think she said 'I'm in love with you, Jennie."

Jennie turned to Lisa with a gapped mouth.

She told me earlier that there is something important that she wants to tell me, could it be that?