Friends

Sunday - Dining in Space

"So you're saying that you two got back together?"

"Yeah. We're officially together again. Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the break up?" said Taehyung, scooping food into his mouth.

Jennie set down the glass of mango juice on the table. "Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup had made her realize how much you mean to her, right?"

"Honestly, she panicked a little after she found out from my dad that I was going out with you." Taehyung chuckled.

"Really? Should I start hiding now?" asked Jennie, laughing.

"Haha, don't worry. She doesn't kill, but yeah, she tortures..."

"Ooh, scary..." Jennie pretends to shudder, making Taehyung laugh again. "But seriously, though, I'm happy for you."

"Well, thank you," said Taehyung, bowing slightly. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The breakup was hard for me, yes, but I just thought that I should be happy it happened, right?"

"And why?"

"Well, if Sana didn't break up with me before I don't think we'll get closer," said Taehyung seriously. "Being friends with you is a break up retribution. I'm glad it happened."

Jennie gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things has been troubling her lately, she can't deny that Taehyung is one of those few people who gives her joy from time to time. "I'm thankful to have you as a friend too."

Taehyung smiled at her and went back to eating his food. After few seconds of silence, he spoke again. "How about you, how's he?"

Jennie was glad that she didn't choke on her food because that question had surely struck her bull's eye. The truth is, she's not okay. She never got the chance to talk to Lisa until Friday because Krystal was the one who drove her and picked her up in the office. Jennie didn't even bother to ask Lisa out over the weekend because she remembered how Krystal told Rosé, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Lisa.

Jennie isn't sure how it happened. Suddenly, she felt like she doesn't exist in Lisa's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Taehyung asked her out today because she was just gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Taehyung.." said Jennie, absently tapping the tip of her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Taehyung, pausing a little while waiting for Jennie to look up to him, "it's that Lisa, right?"

"H-how ---"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness, yeah; but only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh..." Jennie looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one you're with in Gampo, right?" asked Taehyung, getting a nod from Jennie. "She's the one you were talking to in café that Friday night too, right?"

Jennie nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell it to you because I thought you won't accept it."

"Why won't I accept it? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Taehyung sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled up until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"

"Because it's not as easy what you're having with Sana.."

Taehyung leaned forward, his arms against the edge of the table. "I know, but you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"