prologue 0.2

LAS VEGAS PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOLMAY 16TH, 199310:08 PM

MAY 16TH, 1993
10:08 PM

Spencer doesn't know how much time has passed. All he knows is that he's hungry, cold, and humiliated, still struggling to break free of the rope that the football team had tied him to the goalpost with. His bag is a few feet away from him, his clothes nowhere to be seen. Spencer hangs his head, too tired to even cry anymore.

I'm so stupid, he thinks. Why would Alexa Lisbon ever want to hang out with me? I'm just a dumb twelve-year old.

Spencer lifts his head up, trying once more to yell out for help, his voice hoarse, throat raw. "Is anyone here? I need some help!"

Spencer shifts his weight on his aching feet, chewing on his bottom lip. His glasses are falling off his nose, and he feels like he can't feel his fingers. He squints when he sees a figure in the distance, and he immediately straightens his posture.

"Hello! Please! Can you come help me!"

The figure stops, turning their head. After a brief pause, they start walking over. Spencer inhales sharply, becoming increasingly aware of the fact that he's butt naked. The closer they get; the more Spencer can distinguish the outline through the dim light of the lights on the football field.

It's a girl.

Spencer immediately feels shame and embarrassment wash over him, trying very hard to shield his naked body from the stranger. She picks up her pace when she realizes he's tied to the goal post, stopping a few feet away from him, a little breathless. She drops her bag on the ground, eyes not leaving his face.

"Oh my god, are you okay? Who did this to you?"

Spencer's face is on fire, and he shakes his head. "I-It was a lot of people. Y-You didn't hear about it?"

The girl shakes her head, moving around to the back of Spencer. He hears the jingling of keys, feeling her start to try to cut through the thin ropes with her keys. Spencer bites his bottom lip harder, feeling like he's going to start crying again. It's bad enough this happened to him—now he's naked about to cry in front of someone he doesn't even know.

"I have some clothes in my gym bag," she says, continuing cutting through the rope. "If you...y'know, want to put them on."

"Yes, please." His voice is small and shaky, and he blinks a few times, trying to clear his blurry vision.

The rope snaps, and Spencer almost falls over, the girl catching his arm and steadying him. He finds his footing, and the girl walks over to her bag, fishing out a pair of shorts and a shirt. She hands them to Spencer, her hand over her eyes.

"Thanks."

Spencer pulls them on quickly before grabbing his bag, swinging the strap over his shoulder. The girl takes her hand away from her eyes, picking up her bag. She looks at him, and Spencer can see slight anger in her eyes.

"I don't understand how people can be so mean."

Spencer knits his brows. "U-Um...I'm an easy target."

She shakes her head. "I'm sorry they did this to you."

"O-Oh." Spencer grips the strap of his bag. "I'm Spencer, by the way."

She tilts her head. "Spencer...oh! You're the genius kid."

"Yeah, that's me," Spencer replies, giving her a tight-lipped smile.

"I'm Y/n."

"Um...well thanks, Y/n. For helping me."

"Do you need a ride home?"

"I don't wanna impose—"

"You're not. What are you gonna do? Walk home with no shoes?"

Spencer give a small laugh. "I guess not."

"Come on." She smiles at him, leading him across the football field to the student parking lot. She hits a button on her keys, her car lights flashing as she unlocks it.

She climbs into the driver's side, and Spencer sits in the passenger's seat, buckling his seat belt. She begins the drive, and Spencer fiddles with his fingers, looking down at his lap. Spencer tells her his address, becoming silent shortly thereafter.

"How old are you?"

He looks up at her before looking back down. "Twelve."

She nods. "I'm seventeen." Sighing, she turns a corner. "I just wanna be done with high school."

"Same," he mutters, biting the inside of his cheek. "There's only two weeks left until graduation, though, so I'm excited."

"Whatcha doin' after high school?" She asks, curiosity lacing her voice.

"I'm either going to Caltech or Yale, I haven't decided yet."

"Damn, you must really be smart."

"I got accepted into both, so yeah...I guess I am."

Y/n laughs, not replying. Spencer picks at the skin by his nails, his tongue poking out of the corner of his mouth. The rest of the ride is mainly silent, the only noise coming from the radio, turned down to a low volume.

"I think we're here."

Spencer looks up, watching the car slow to a stop outside of his house. He unbuckles his seatbelt, looking over at Y/n. He gives her a small smile.

"Thanks, uh, for all of this." His voice is quiet.

She smiles at him. "No problem. Maybe I'll see you around at school."

Spencer nods. "Maybe."

"Well...see ya around, Spencer."

"See ya."

Spencer climbs out of her car, gripping his bag, waving at Y/n as he turns around. He unlocks his front door, only hearing her drive away once he's stepping through it. He walks into his house, stopping in the doorway of his mother's room.

"Spencer? Is that you?"

"Yeah, mom, it's me."

"I had the longest day teaching today, Spencer. How was your day?"

Spencer bites his bottom lip, looking up at his mom. He knows that tone of voice—she's not here. Not really. She doesn't even notice he's barefoot and not wearing the clothes he left in this morning. He swallows, giving her a weak smile.

"It was good, mom. I'm gonna go to bed."

"Okay, sweetie. Goodnight."

"Night."

Spencer trudges into his room, putting his bag on the ground and taking off Y/n's clothes. He puts them in his hamper before wrapping a towel around him and walking into the bathroom. He showers, feeling utterly exhausted, dressing in pajamas before collapsing into bed.

He stares up at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to pull him under. But all he can think about his how nice Y/n is—a complete stranger had helped him in the most embarrassing situation of his life. A small smile forms on his face as he closes his eyes.

He'll never forget her.

Ever.

——————————————
Author's Note
WELCOME BITCHES!
I'm so so so so excited to start this fic. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I'm excited to make it an actual reality! It'll be 30 chapters plus an epilogue :)
Get ready for a lot of angst and a good long slow burn. I'm so excited you're all here!