TWENTY SIX

warnings: mentions of drug abuse/addiction

"Where's Julie?"

Spencer looks at Adam, lacing his fingers together and placing them on the table in front of him. "We're trying to find her."

Adam gives a small, humorless chuckle. "She's gonna go ballistic."

"You're in a lot of trouble, Adam," Spencer says, crunching his brows together. "But I think you know that, right?"

Adam looks at Spencer, a confused look on his face. He slowly shakes his head. "The only thing that I did wrong was leave work without telling my boss." Spencer scans the younger boy's face, trying to see a lie. "I—I need to talk to Julie."

Spencer glances toward the one-way glass and he clears his throat. "Adam...why don't you tell me about the fight you had with the first victim."

"I don't remember," Adam says, his wide eyes set on Spencer's face. He scrunches his brows, averting his gaze as he stares down at the table.

"You don't remember." Spencer's voice is a whisper.

Adam looks like he's on the verge of tears. "Uh..." He shakes his head, eyes flicking back up to meet Spencer's. "No."

Spencer's tongue flicks over his bottom lip, and he leans forward. "Adam, I really wanna help you out, but you're going to have to do a lot better than that."

"Please," Adam whispers, almost sounding on the verge of hysterics. "I just need to talk to Julie!"

Spencer stares at the boy in front of him, almost shocked at his raised voice. He takes a moment, trying to let Adam calm down. Spencer stands, shoving his hands in his pockets, walking over to lean against the chain-link wall.

"Adam, let's talk about the fight you had with the first victim, William Browder."

Adam shakes his head. "There's nothing to tell. He grabbed Madison, I tried to stop him."

"That guy was pretty big," Spencer says.

"So?"

"Uh, guys like you and I aren't...um, we aren't exactly the fighting type," Spencer replies, pushing himself off the wall, walking around to the back of Adam.

"Well, Madison's a good person," Adam says. "She didn't deserve to be treated that way."

Spencer leans against the cabinet. "You see, now I'm really confused, because you just told me you don't remember the fight."

"I don't," he retorts. "I mean, I—I don't, but I—I do."

Spencer clicks his tongue. "You don't, but you do. Can you explain to me how that works?"

"I remember he grabbed at Madison, I tried to stop him. The next thing I knew, Julie was pulling me out of the pool." He turns his head, looking back at Spencer.