THIRTEEN

this chapter is very dark. please read with caution.
warnings: extreme drug use, graphic depictions of drug usage/addiction

"Hey, pretty boy. Got any plans this weekend?"

Spencer looks up from his desk, shaking his head. "Not really. I was just gonna watch reruns of Star Trek all weekend."

Morgan rolls his eyes. "Of course you were."

"Did you have any plans?"

"Garcia and I were gonna catch a movie tomorrow. Do you wanna come?"

Spencer smiles up at his friend. "Oh, s-sure."

"We were gonna do it tomorrow."

"Gotcha. Just, uh, text me a time."

Morgan nods, giving Spencer another grin before heading back to his desk. Spencer smiles to himself. He doesn't get invited out with the team individually a lot, and it makes him feel good to be included.

His eyes flick to Y/n at her desk. She's staring at her computer screen, chewing anxiously at her bottom lip. She looks worse than she did when he showed up at her apartment almost a week ago. The circles under her eyes could war with Spencer's own. Her hair is thrown up into a ponytail, and her left hand absent-mindedly scratches at her neck. Plus, on top of it all, she'd been avoiding Spencer all week. She barely even looks at him, much less talks to him. Thank god the team hasn't had a case. He just knows the team would be able to see right through them and then they'd start asking questions—questions Spencer isn't ready to answer.

Her bloodshot eyes shift to his and he holds her gaze for a moment before averting his eyes, swallowing as he focuses on the computer in front of him. He's not even using it, but she doesn't know that.

Biting the inside of his cheek, he glances down at the file in front of him. He opens it, absent-mindedly scribbling on it. He's helping Emily out with some of her paperwork—he's faster at it anyway. Plus, he doesn't mind. Paperwork doesn't stress him out, it actually kind of soothes him.

That's why he doesn't feel like two hours have passed the next time he looks up, glancing around the office. Y/n is still at her desk, Prentiss at hers. Morgan had left. Blinking a couple times, Spencer walks into Hotch's office, carrying the stack of paperwork.

"Here ya go," he says, setting the files down on his desk.

Hotch nods at Spencer. "Thanks." As Spencer starts to walk out, Hotch stops him. "Reid."

Spencer turns his head, eyebrows crinkling. "Yes?"

"Is Y/n okay? She's been acting a little distant lately."

He looks at his boss, only hesitating a moment. "Why would I know?"

"You live in the same complex; I was just assuming you'd know something."