TWENTY FOUR

warnings: mentions of drug abuse/addiction

"Reid, we need a DOB on Prentiss."

Spencer halts in his tracks, Y/n stopping with him. He turns toward Garcia, Kevin, Morgan, and Prentiss, brows scrunched together. "Uh, seven-twelve AM, October twelfth, nineteen—"

"Hey!" Prentiss stops him, giving him an incredulous look.

Spencer looks at Prentiss, confused. He grips his coffee cup, taking a sip, turning toward Garcia. Y/n stands next to him, clutching her own coffee cup, occasionally looking up to Spencer.

"Libra—I should've known," Garcia says, looking down at the newspaper in her hands. "A romantic opportunity may experience a slight hitch thanks to the pesky lunar influence which could have you dipping into a rather chilly mood. If being demonstrative and warm is difficult, then neutralize this temporary cold front with a simple but affectionate gesture!"

"I have a simple gesture," Prentiss says, setting the wooden stick she's stirring her coffee with in her glass.

Y/n laughs as Prentiss gives Garcia the finger, and Spencer glances down at her, a small smile on his own face. He runs his fingers through his hair, smoothing it back. He'd started slicking it back a couple weeks ago, and Y/n had told him how much she likes it, so he figured he'd keep it up for a while. She looks up at him, eyes raking over his face.

"Hey, you guys ready to gather?" JJ asks, approaching the group. She'd come back from maternity leave early—Jordan couldn't handle the BAU. It's not for everyone.

"Well, look at you, Miss Thang," Morgan says, grinning. "First day back and you're all business."

"Well, it's either dive right in or confront my separation anxiety," JJ jokes, clutching the files in her arms.

She juts her chin toward the roundtable room, and Spencer and Y/n turn around, heading into the room. They situate themselves next to each other, and Spencer watches as Y/n slowly rolls the sleeves of her purple button-up up her arms. The bruising from her last use had faded—it's been a couple weeks, after all—and all that's left on her forearms are the small scars from using. Something the team won't notice. Or if they do, they'll choose to ignore it.

The team settles around the table, and JJ drops a file in front of everyone. Spencer flips it open, eyes scanning the page as JJ turns on the monitor, pictures filling the screen.

"There's been a string of abductions in Olympia, Washington going back nine months," she explains, four pictures of blonde girls popping up on the screen. "Four women in all, blonde, blue-eyed, early twenties. This morning they found one."

"When were they taken?" Morgan asks.

"Nine months ago."

"So she was the first?" Y/n asks, glancing at the file in front of her.