FOUR

this chapter is LONG
warnings: mentions of drug addiction, mentions of death
ALSO FROM THIS POINT ON, IF I SEE ANY COMMENTS MAKING FUN OR JOKING ABOUT DRUG OR ALCOHOL ADDICTION, I WILL STRAIGHT UP BLOCK YOU. ADDICTION IS NOT A JOKE. YES, THIS INCLUDES COMMENTS ABOUT STRAUSS.

Spencer flips the gold NA chip with his fingers as he sits on the metro, brows crinkled together

Spencer flips the gold NA chip with his fingers as he sits on the metro, brows crinkled together. Not his NA chip—John's. John's a bigwig in the FBI, actually one of Hotch's supervisors. And he gave his one-year chip to Spencer. Spencer runs his thumb over the letters on the coin—Out of the darkness of addiction, into the light.

As the metro comes to a stop, Spencer carefully puts the chip in his pocket. He's only ten months—and John wants the chip back when Spencer gets his own one-year. Gripping his bag, Spencer walks up the metro, clumsily jogging up the steps and onto the sidewalk. He's late. Hotch has called him at least six times.

He bites the inside of his cheek as he bolts up the stairs, pushing the glass doors of the BAU open and beelining to the roundtable room, eyes set on the floor below him.

"Officer Letts shot this just before he was killed."

JJ's voice carries through the doorway of the room, and Spencer glances at everyone as he enters, breathless. "Sorry, I'm late."

"I hope she was worth it," Rossi says as Spencer sits down.

"I hope it was a she," Derek replies, glancing at Spencer.

Spencer glances down at the notepad in front of him, picking up a pen. "Oh, sorry, I was at the movies."

"Oh, really? Why don't you tell us what it's about."

Spencer scratches his jaw with his left hand, the annoyance in him growing. "Uh, I had to leave early so I can't really..." He trails off, eyes flicking to Y/n, seated across from him. She's glancing down, reading the file in front of her.

The past two weeks have been weird. She acts like the incident at the bar never happened—like Spencer hadn't witnessed how defensive she had been in front of her apartment. But her attitude hasn't changed—she's still nice and friendly with the team. With him. She's quiet. She goes home after every case, and Spencer never sees her at the apartment complex.

Her eyes flick up, meeting his, and she gives him a small smile. He returns the smile, eyes glancing over to Hotch.

"I know it's late. I know we're tired, but we've got two dead cops."

"The resident, Rod Norris, was DOA. They're still trying to ID the remains of the second victim," JJ explains, holding up Rod Norris' picture, "whom they believe is his sixteen-year old daughter, Jordan." She holds up Jordan's picture. "From the condition of the remains, she would've had to be inside the house close to the source of the blast."