FIFTEEN

This chapter is SHORT but I'm sorry, I was having writer's block.
warnings: mentions of drug addiction/drug use/sexual assault/suicide, vomit

 Spencer lifts his head up, blinking as he adjust to the soft light of the hospital room

Spencer lifts his head up, blinking as he adjust to the soft light of the hospital room. He inhales slowly, his eyes flicking up to Y/n's face. She's awake, covered in sweat, her body shaking slightly. Her eyes land on Spencer's face.

"H-Hi," she whispers, chewing on her bottom lip.

"Hi." Spencer gives her a small smile. "Did you sleep any last night?"

"A little," she replies. "It was h-hard."

Spencer nods, and he glances down as her clammy hand finds his. "It's gonna be hard for the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours."

She swallows, glancing up at the ceiling. "It's already hard."

"I know," he murmurs, running his thumb along hers.

"Good morning! How are we feeling today?" The nurse—her name is Janelle—walks in, holding a tray of food for Y/n.

"I've felt better," Y/n whispers, glancing down at the food Janelle sat in front of her.

"You're doing very well, honey," Janelle said, checking her vitals. "Your pulse is a little high but that's to be expected. We're gonna keep monitoring you throughout the day, okay?"

Y/n nods and Janelle gives her a small smile before exiting the room. She grimaces at the food in front of her, looking up at Spencer.

"I'm not hungry," she murmurs.

Spencer squeezes her hand. "You've gotta eat. Your appetite is just suppressed because of the stress on your body right now."

Her lips turn down into a frown, but she lifts up the small roll on her plate with her unoccupied hand, taking small bites of it. Spencer smiles softly at her, giving her right hand a small squeeze.

She doesn't eat all of it—only half, really. She places it back on her tray, shaking her hand.

"I can't."

"It's okay. You tried. That's all that matters."

She nods at him, and Spencer's stomach rumbles, reminding him of his own hunger. He rubs his thumb over hers, and her eyes flick up to his. A light sheen of sweat is covering her forehead, her pupils dilating slightly.

"Would you be okay if I went and got something to eat?"

She nods. "Mhm. I'm not going anywhere."

He laughs softly, releasing her hand as he stands. He walks out of her room, pausing slightly to look in the window. The small smile leaves her face, and her shivering seems to intensify slightly. Spencer chews on his bottom lip, his brows scrunching together. She's trying to hold it together in front of him—but eventually, she won't be able to.