NINETEEN

warnings: mentions of drug abuse/drug addiction

Spencer jolts awake, blinking a few times as he sits up on the jet couch

Spencer jolts awake, blinking a few times as he sits up on the jet couch. He rubs his eyes, and when he opens them again, he finds the whole team, minus Y/n, staring at him. He swings his legs off of Y/n, eyes flicking to her before flicking back to the team.

"Sorry, I was dreaming," he mumbles.

"No kidding," Prentiss laughs.

"We found a six-year-old boy who had been abused and stabbed," he explains, sighing softly. "Your baby was at the crime scene." He gestures to a very pregnant JJ. "I was trying to get him out of there." He pauses for a moment. "Sorry."

"It's okay," JJ says, raising her eyebrows.

"You know, Reid, simple dream analysis—if there's a baby in your dreams, that baby is actually you," Morgan explains.

Spencer scrunches his brows, shaking his head. "I don't believe in dream analysis."

"I dunno, it makes sense," Hotch says. "The case we're working on and the case in your dream both involve children. Maybe your subconscious is telling you that you want to sit this one out."

"I don't," Spencer says firmly.

"Well, maybe you're just stressed out about going home to Las Vegas."

"Y/n's from Las Vegas, too," he mutters. Her eyes flick over to his, a light smile on her lips.

"Did you tell your mom you're coming?" Prentiss asks.

"Why aren't we reviewing the case file?" Spencer asks, trying to avoid the sensitive topic of his mother.

"I don't know; maybe because someone fell asleep on the jet," Prentiss laughs.

Spencer grins, shaking his head as he closes the file in front of him. He glances at Y/n again, the smile staying on his face. It had been a few days since the incident at her apartment, which she'd apologized for more times than Spencer would like. It wasn't really her fault—it's just an after effect of drug withdrawal. She'd been doing a little better, and it's almost getting dangerous how much Spencer is starting to like her.

"Alright, let's start from the beginning one more time," Hotch says.

"This is Ethan Hayes," JJ says, holding up a photo of a young boy. "He was five. Two weeks ago he was abducted out of his own front yard."

Spencer flips open the file. "Where were his parents?"

"His mom just ran inside to grab her purse. When she came back, he was gone. She wasn't away for more than a minute or two." JJ glances down. "Police found his body exactly one week later in the desert. He was in a new change of clothes, his nails clipped, his hair was combed."