epilogue

warnings: mentions of drug/alcohol addiction

"Baby? You ready to leave?"

Spencer hoists his bag over his shoulder as he stands from the couch. Y/n strolls out of their shared room, a smile on her face as she carries her bag.

"I'm here, I'm here," she murmurs, giggling as Spencer crosses to her. "It's too early."

"It's only eight AM," Spencer says, grinning as he wraps his free arm around her. "Plus, it's a three-hour drive."

"I know," she groans, looking up at him. "Can we stop for coffee?"

"Yes," he says, leaning down, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

She kisses him back, grinning against his lips as she pulls away. "And breakfast?"

"Fine," he murmurs against her lips. "Let's go."

She presses another chaste kiss to his lips before pulling away, and Spencer follows her out of their apartment. He locks the door behind them, both of them walking to Y/n's car. It's her turn to drive—he drove last time. He settles in the passenger's seat, lacing his fingers with Y/n as she begins the drive to Bethany Beach.

Before she gets on the highway, she stops at their favorite coffee shop, ordering both of them coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Spencer grins as he takes a sip of his coffee, letting the warmth spread through him. He glances over at her as she stops at a red light, and her eyes flick to him.

"Yes?"

"What? I can't stare at my girlfriend?" He asks, grinning as he leans over, giving her a small kiss. "Oh, and happy anniversary by the way."

She can't seem to contain her grin as she gazes at him. "Happy one year, sweetheart."

He kisses her nose before pulling away as the light turns green. She pulls onto the highway, and Spencer settles back in his seat. The past year with Y/n had been the best one of his entire life—because of her. And on top of it being their one year, a couple months ago was her one year. Drug and alcohol free for a whole year. Spencer's beyond proud of her, and he hopes he shows just how proud he is every day.

They had decided to return to Bethany Beach in the same house as last year. He'd come to love the beach, thanks to her. And the way she smiles when she's there is unlike anything Spencer's ever seen. True joy.

The drive to Bethany Beach isn't boring. Nothing's ever boring with her. She plays her music, grinning especially hard when You Send Me by Sam Cooke starts playing. Her favorite. She sings the song softly under her breath, and Spencer smiles to himself, rubbing his thumb along hers. Her voice fills the void of silence within the car around Spencer, and he closes his eyes, smiling to himself. She's so fucking beautiful.

Eventually, they arrive in Bethany Beach, and she stops at the Real Estate office, grabbing the keys to the house. As she approaches the house, Spencer can basically feel the excitement radiating off of her. She pulls into the driveway, parking the car and turning it off.