SIX

I know this chapter is short :( don't hate me, I tried to make it longer
warnings: mentions of drug addiction

The jet lands at around 11 PM, Spencer slinging his go bag on his shoulder as he follows the team off the jet

The jet lands at around 11 PM, Spencer slinging his go bag on his shoulder as he follows the team off the jet. Hotch had talked to him on the jet—reprimanded him by telling him if he ever did something like that again on a case, he'd fire Spencer.

Spencer doesn't really think that's fair. Yes, he'd let his emotions get in the way of a case. But in reality? He'd stopped Owen from dying. That kid is alive because of him. If it were up to the team, he wouldn't be.

Ever since he was kidnapped by Tobias, he's had a hard time with empathy. Being able to relate to victims on an emotional level makes him nervous. Being emotional in general makes Spencer nervous. He tries to be as level-headed and reasonable as possible on cases, and the fact that he'd almost gotten fired after slipping up once makes him slightly angry.

As the team approaches the glass doors of the BAU, Hotch stops, turning around to look at the team. Spencer almost runs into Y/n's back, stopping himself just before his nose hits her. He clears his throat, backing up a couple steps, looking at Hotch.

"Go home. This case was...hard for some of you. Get some sleep." He's speaking directly to Spencer, eyes flicking over to him quickly before looking away.

Spencer's grateful for no paperwork tonight. He thinks he would've screamed if he had to stay. The team crowds onto the elevator, Spencer squished between the wall and Y/n. He glances at her, giving her a small smile, which she returns.

"Do you need a ride home?" She asks.

Spencer nods. "Please."

"Oh, ho ho, pretty boy and the new girl?"

"Can it, Morgan. We live in the same building," Y/n says, glaring at Derek.

"Thanks," Spencer whispers to her.

She gives a brief nod, and the elevator comes to a halt. The doors open, the team piling out of the small space, heading for the parking lot. Spencer follows Y/n out the doors to her car, sliding into the passenger's seat. She starts the car, buckling her seatbelt before wordlessly pulling out of the parking lot.

Spencer bites the inside of his cheek, glancing down at his lap. "How do you like D.C. so far?"

Y/n nods, tapping the steering wheel. "It's nice. Nothing like Nevada, but nice." She's silent for a second. "Where did you end up going to college?"

"Hm?"

"Yale or Caltech?"

Spencer's lips turn up a little at the corners. "Oh. Caltech."

"What did you major in?"

"Uh..." Spencer gives a soft chuckle. "I have two BAs in psychology and sociology, and three PhDs in chemistry, engineering, and mathematics. I'm working on a third BA in philosophy."