NINE

warnings: mentions of drugs, mentions of drug addiction, graphic depictions of drug scars

"Don't get comfortable. There'll be time to debrief on the plane."

"Where are we headed?" Spencer asks, scrunching his brows together.

"New York."

"Five shootings in two weeks, it's about time we got the call," Rossi mutters, walking into the room.

"I wanna take Garcia with us," Hotch says, his voice quiet. "Hopefully, they'll give us access to their surveillance systems."

"What do we know?" Y/n asks, glancing at the paused video on the screen.

"All the killings are mid-day. Single gunshot to the head with a twenty-two."

"Any witnesses?" JJ asks, stuffing her hands in her pockets.

"No."

"Twenty-two caliber pistols are only one-hundred and fifty-two decibels. New York streets and subways are routinely well over one hundred. It could be people aren't even registering the gunshot until the unsub's already leaving the scene." Spencer glances at the group.

"They sound like mob hits," Morgan thinks out loud.

Hotch shakes his head. "Except none of them have ties to organized crime."

"Do they have any connection with each other?" Prentiss asks.

"None they've found."

"How about communications with the police?" Y/n asks. "Has the unsub tried to make contact?"

"Surveillance cameras have captured video of three of the murders. This is the latest."

The video plays on the screen, and Spencer grimaces as he watches the victim's body drop to the ground.

"That's the best image they have?" JJ asks, raising her eyebrows.

"They're all the same," Hotch explains, turning back to the group. "He wears a hood and keeps his head down."

"This guy's bold," Y/n muses. "Crowded areas, broad daylight."

"So they're completely random?" Rossi sighs.

"It seems that way," Hotch mumbles.

"Son of Sam all over again," Spencer retorts, tilting his head as he looks at the screen.

"Wheels up in ten."

Spencer turns on his heels out of the room, speed-walking to his desk to grab his go bag. This case is serious—and hard. The team is basically going off nothing, and Spencer knows it's extra serious because Garcia is coming with them. He glances over at Y/n, watching her sling her go bag over her shoulder. She tugs on her sleeves before gripping the strap of her bag and making her way out of the BAU to the tarmac. Spencer follows, biting the inside of his cheek as he does.