Chapter 55 Part 4

60 minutes stand between me and my team becoming Superbowl champions. 60 long minutes. After the singing of the national anthem, me and the 3 other captains head to the middle of the field for the coin toss. We win and chose to kick off. Special teams get out there and I sit on the bench looking over my play book while defense does their thing. Defense makes a stop and it's time for the offense to go on the field. The other team punts it away, ball gets to mid field, I grab my helmet and go out to the field and we huddle up. By half time, we're down 19-3, and it's mainly my fault. I've thrown 2 interceptions, and haven't had an effective possession. I make my way until the tunnel and I get stopped by Demi. "What are you..." I say and she cuts me off. "Don't talk, just listen. I don't know what's going on with you, but right now, you look defeated. There are 30 minutes left. Baby you got this, okay. All that practicing, all the film watching you do got you to this point. You're talented. You're forcing your throws, and you're not being patient. Stop playing to try and prove something....play for you....because you want the success. You can do this!" I nod and head to the locker room. After talking about what it is we need to do to come back, half time's over and it's time to go back on the field. We get the ball first. After the kick and return, I take the field. Discuss what play we're running and break out. I check to make sure the defense hasn't changed, and take the snap. First throw I complete for 26 yards...giving the team, as well as the crowd a spark. The process is repeated and find a man down field, I throw the ball his way, giving him a chance to make a play, and sure enough he does, making his way into the endzone. After the extra point, we're with in 9. This game is literally down to the wire. We're down 20-26, with 6 seconds left. I have one last shot to get it into the endzone, we're 22 yards away. I call the play. I take the snap, see an open man and make the most important throw of my life into the endzone for the score tying the game.

The fans are in a frenzy! It's loud as hell in this stadium. After running to the endzone to celebrate with the receiver that just caught the ball, we make our way to the sideline, when I see Demi and the girls standing behind the team near the wall, and she's all smiles. Game's not over. We still have to kick the field goal to officially be declared Superbowl champs. We have one of the best kickers in the league, but I still get down on one knee to pray. The minute I say Amen, the crowd gets louder than before. He made the field goal. I instantly break down in tears. Tears of joy that is. I walk out to the field to shake hands with the opposing coach and players. I find my wife and daughters through all the confetti and they jump into my arms, and I hug them tightly. I give Demi a kiss. "Thank you" I mouth, and she winks. After celebrating there's the whole trophy ceremony. I was named MVP and had to make a short speech. After all that, I do a post game interview with some of the analyst, then go shower and change and do my post game conference with the media. Demi, the girls and our families stand on the side and watch. "Kap...what happened in the first half?" "We weren't executing. I threw two interceptions and we weren't converting on 3rd down." "What turned around in the second half? What was said in the lockerroom at half time?" "Umm we started executing. I started making more accurate throws and we were able to move the ball really well. As for the half time talk, we made some adjustments to our approach and it worked. Also, I had a little pep talk from my beautiful wife." I say then giggle a little bit afterwards. "What'd she say?" "Ummmm. I'm gonna keep that between me and her, if she's asked she'll probably share...but just know it was very inspirational." "What'd you see on that game winning touchdown?" "I saw there was blown coverage, and a man wide open and I gave it to him." "This being your second Superbowl win, what's next going into the off season?" "Work! The grind doesn't stop here." "Thanks Kap." I walk off the podium and join my family.