Chapter Forty-Two

Katsuki's POV:

It's been a few months since I went back to school, and the trial is getting bigger. Ojirou hasn't mentioned it to anyone because no one has mentioned it to me. Well, he probably told Invisibitch but that's probably it.

If anyone else knew about the trial, they would've mentioned it to me. Not even Mina and the others who know have brought it up. Just Kaminari and Shoto because I keep telling them about it. I know it's gonna get out soon, and I'm dreading the day it does.

Aizawa has made big moves. Asking if I want to have a room in his house, wondering if I'd want to talk to Shinso, coming by more often. It's making me feel wanted. I'm just scared about when it's going to change. Because it's going to, it's just hard to tell exactly when it's going to happen.

"Bakugo? Are you paying attention?" Aizawa asks.

Crap, if I don't start paying attention, he'll start hating me. Well, maybe he already does, so he's start hating me more. "Yes." He nods and continues talking about today. We're gonna train. I really haven't improved these past few months, but I've been trying so hard. Training until my arms are sore and Halfie has to stop me. I need to improve. I need to be someone they can be proud of. I wany Halfie to show me off. I was Aizawa and Mic to tell everyone about the great hero I'm going to become. I want Shinso to like me. I want Kaminari to be able to look up to me as if I were his older brother.

"Bakugo."

I look up and notice my eyes are burning. "Hm?"

"Try to pay attention," he nods. He doesn't look mad or annoyed. He's trying to stay neutral. He doesn't want it to be noticeable, but it is. Everyone knows that he's been taking care of me. No one except the people I told Todoroki to tell and the two other bitches know. All they know is that I've changed and that the teachers are watching over me, especially Aizawa. Some have come up and asked me. I just never tell them. I either yell at them to mind their own business or ignore then until they go away. But, it's noticeable. I've changed.

"Bakugo?" I look up and see Aizawa standing in front of my desk. Everyone else had left already. Crap.

"Sorry, I guess I was falling asleep," I lie and stand up. This feeling of shame washes over me. He's disappointed. He's gonna hit me isn't he?

I don't look at him and stay looking down. Maybe if I look submissive he won't hit m- no. He's not going to hit me. He's Aizawa. He's not my mom or dad. "Do you need the day?" He asks and I look straight at him. "No," I say shaking my head. "I'm okay, I swear. I- You don't have to worry about me. I'll be okay. I swear," I say.

"You need out, and you tell me. I'm going to partner you up with someone of your choosing. Who do you want?"

I think about it.

Halfie wants a strong apponent, so he's probably already with Deku. Kaminari-

"Bakugo."

I look up.

"You have this look on your face. It doesn't look good on you," he jokes. I can't help but smile lightly. "Shut up. Like you're any better," I try. He huffs out a laugh and put his hand on my shoulder. I feel grounded now. Like my feet are actually on the floor and I'm safe. "I'm pairing you up with Todoroki. He'll keep a good eye on you and your quirk are both strong so that's a good excuse to get you your own space in the gym. Is that okay with you? You day you don't want to have the day, so at least take it easy. Do it for me, okay?" He asks.

I nod.

"Thanks."

The word dad echos in my mind and for some reason it makes me both happy and sad. Painfully sad. "Bakugo?" I blink and look up at him, finally making eye contact. "You keep spacing out on me. Did you hear what I said about class today?" I shake my head no.