Chapter 5

Our year groups had been split up in half so our weekly schedule would mean we would spend more time with one half of the year group and barely meet the other.

I prayed for the 6th time before shooting my gaze at the announcement board.

Please let us be in separate halves. Please let us be in separate halves.

"Oh my god." I almost squealed in joy finally seeing my name in the opposite half of Audeus'. "Fate... I love you." My heart was flipping up and down moving left and right, doing a little jiggy to reflect my joy.

Our lunchtimes would be different, which means... I could get rid of this nuisance! We were already in year 9 but he was yet to befriend his future minions, instead, he kept offering me coupons whenever he got the chance... The outcome always led to waves of regret, obviously from my side.

"Hah." I flinched hearing a familiar sigh sound from beside me, I could almost hear the stutter in that exhale. "... I-I can't believe we're not in the same class. But at least they changed lunchtimes so we can still have lunch together."

"Hah! What are you talk~ing abou-ahem about? Our lunchtimes are completely different, we won't get to meet... r-regretfully." My pitch fluctuated heavily as I realised I came on too strong with obvious glee at correcting his misunderstanding.

"Oh, y-you didn't hear that they ch-changed it this year?" He cocked his head, turning his gaze away from the board and towards me instead.

"W-why? Why would they do that when they had a perfectly functioning system put in place?" My eyes teared up as my hope was quickly extinguished by whichever fool made that decision.

"S-something about the people in the year group n-not socialising enough with the other half. T-that means we'll even be in the same classes for s-some stuff." He twisted his fingers nervously while looking up at me through his bangs.

"N-no." I dropped to my knees, feeling my energy draining rapidly. "I-it can't be." Immersed in my own play I didn't even sense the head of year coming up behind me.

"Tut tut, is this really the behaviour a year 9 student should be showing? You should be much more mature by now. Especially as a lady, you should not be sitting on the dirty ground all willy nilly." She reprimanded, pulling me up swiftly with one hand and dusting the dirt off my knees with the other.

I apologised for my behaviour clasping my hands in front of me with my head drooping in embarrassment.

"It's always great to have such colourful characters in the year group, but please be more prudent." She laughed before speed walking away and disappearing around a corner.

"I-I'm so happy we can have lunch together s-still, I even made your f-favourite fried chicken fillet with..." I switched my brain off to prevent myself from being lured in by the tantalising bait being thrown in front of me.

I don't know what crunchy-breadcrumb-coated-golden-chicken- fillet you're talking about.

What about the spicy vegetable stir fry, which glistened and gleamed, seemed appetising?

So what, if the honey garlic dip added just the right amount of sweetness to the dish?

I'm not salivating, it's you.

"Lalala, I can't hear you." I plugged my ears in a childish attempt to break away from temptation. "Oh my god, Alezis is that you?" My eyes searched for a distraction and fell upon a familiar silhouette. That black razor-cut bob, I'd recognise it anywhere.

"..." In the 2 years I had known her she was yet to break her vow of silence or even show a change of expression. But, she was the only person I could probably call a friend in my class.

"I already checked, you're in the same class as me." I ran up to her pausing when I realised that I had almost grabbed hold of her arm in my excitement.

The only reactions I could invoke from her would be a stinging slap to the back of the hand after initiating contact with her.

"Who's this?" The boy I was hoping had disappeared by now was still here and was even actively participating in the conversation. Not, that much conversing was happening.

"This is Alezis. This is Audeus." I gestured towards him and her as I introduced them to each other.

"Hmph." Audeus sent a glare towards Alezis before turning back to me, his eyes trailing down then quickly back up to my face as he coughed. His refusal to greet her was obvious and he ignored her thereafter. I mean I understand why Alezis wouldn't greet someone but why is he acting like that?

I'm annoyed he's treating Alezis like that but there's also a little flutter in my stomach. Isn't his behaviour just like a bad guy's? Just outright disrespecting people like that... Maybe the childhood arc wasn't necessary to pollute the vessel that is the villain.

But this was a discussion for another time, it was now lunch and I was trying to plan my escape route.

I already asked the head of year if I could get my lunch early as I was being harassed by a certain someone. She had agreed only because she understood my circumstances at home and had a little bit of pity towards me.

Yes, that's how teacher's pets work. If it wasn't for my good behaviour in class does it look like I'd be able to have such a luxury?

Cradling the lunch bag in my hand, I stealthily made my way around the school trying to find a place where Audeus wouldn't find me.

I finally found a somewhat abandoned courtyard and hid in the corner whilst opening my bag. Just as I was about to take a bite of my baguette I was disturbed by a shadow looming over me.

"Ah." I screamed, almost dropping my baguette in the process. But I gripped onto it tightly, unwilling to repeat my previous blunders of wasting meals. "Sob..."

"I couldn't find you in the lunch hall." Audeus said while looking around the courtyard.

That was the point, you clingy bastard.

A/N: Idek what to say I really like that last line it makes me happy I'll probs be updating this book every Friday