Chapter 20

"I'd like to withdraw from the student council." I stiffened as the pink haired prez, also known as Percy, looked up from his paperwork.

"Would you care to repeat that, Miss. Poor?" He slowly placed his pen down and clasped his hands together as he waited for me to speak.

"I-I, m-my mental and physical health has taken a swift decline upon entering the student council." I stammered as I tried to stand my ground and hold eye contact to assert dominance.

"Will you be able to provide proof of your claims?" He unclamped his hands and began tapping impatiently against the table.

"I've lost 5 kg in the last month." My eyes teared up as I looked down at my scrawny arm. "Your meetings last too long, I never have time to eat because the line at break is so long that I get my food at the end of it. Then your bi-weekly meetings held during lunch ends as the bell rings. And I don't even know what happens most of the time in them I feel like we just keep repeating ourselves for an hour." I ranted freely, finally feeling the thin thread of my sanity break.

"Well do you have any physical proof, for example a doctors note or better yet a psychiatrists note?" He queried ignoring my rant entirely.

"It's a skill in itself to ignore that." I wiped my face in frustration. "No, I don't have any proof." I flopped down into a chair adjacent to his desk as the last of my strength left me and my rebellion, quashed.

"Would you rather we held meetings after school?" He asked as if willing to compromise.

"N-no, just kick me out. I can't stay after school." I stood up once again trying to feign some kind of courage.

"Hmm, seeing as you have not provided any evidence of the council meetings having detrimental affects on your health I'll have to trouble you to continue being part of them." He stated unsympathetically.

"Please, Mr..." I realised I didn't know his last name and decided to change my address. "Percy, just lets break up earlier for the meetings at least?" Although I was in an unfavourable position I still wanted to bargain.

"12:55 is the latest we can finish our meetings." He closed his eyes and rested his head on the chair while leaning back, signalling the end of the conversation.

I staggered out of the room and into the hallway as I cursed him repeatedly.
"So generous, wow I get 5 minutes of lunch break these council members can go fu-" I turned back towards the door to vent my anger, only to gasp after coming face to face with Percy.

He silently raised an eyebrow as he folded his arms over his chest, waiting for me to carry on speaking. Realising that this was the most emotion I had ever seen present on his face, my skin immediately flooded with goosebumps.

"Fur as long as they want, I don't mind if the meetings run even longer." My eyebrows twitched as I tried to control my emotions.

"Oh, that's great we were hoping to start including after school meetings soon and were unsure if you would be willing to attend." His eyes brightened slightly as he watched me support myself against the wall.

"I-I really can't come after school I need to go pick up my siblings."

"Hmm, then I must apologise as the meetings will need to continue up until the bell rings." I pressed myself harder into the wall, afraid I would fall to the ground if I didn't steady myself.

Those 5 minutes that I complained about earlier had instantly disappeared and I stared at Percy for a long while hoping he would just stop.

"Well, be on your way I look forward to your attendance to tomorrow's meeting."

Maybe I should call in sick tomorrow...

I decided to call in sick today. I didn't get to eat lunch anyways so what's the point of going in?

I remembered why I should have gone into school today.

To get lunch. I curled into a ball thinking about how I had eased off part-time jobs after entering college because my parents had better paying jobs. But there was still never enough food at home!

I couldn't eat the kids snacks they needed them to promote healthy growth, especially Soee.

Maybe just a little bit?

No, don't give into temptation. I wrestled my wondering hand to the ground and tried to dissuade myself.

But I mean I did pay for those snacks...

Sh, sh, sh if Soee gets hungry and starts crying because of you can you deal with that?

My eyes glazed over as I stared at the ceiling dazedly for hours. Then I looked to the clock to see that it was about time to go pick Soee up.

A/N: i got a phone appointment with a an allergy specialist today how am I gonna tell him I just jogged off my allergic reaction instead of going to the ER 😣😣I found this booklet thing I made in primary school I think we weee given pictures and then had to make stories up about it so like I'm dead because like I really hated this Simon character 😔😔rip skinny, little geeky boy with a long forehead king. And wtf 'Polyne bottletop' I was just tryna come up with a new word lol