Story of the fallen one - part 5 ... 25

Lan WangJi was always taught, from very young age, that following the rules is what it means to be true prince. The rules of their palace were something holy no one should ever question. That was what he believed all his life. Until he was 15 years old.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

They were visiting a neighbouring kingdom with his uncle, father and older brother. It was a meeting, where a peace treaty was supposed to be signed. The meeting was... Boring, to be clear. Lan WangJi was never really interested in any of this political things. His brother was to be the next king. There was no need for WangJi to learn all of this and to be present on every meeting. But the rules said he shouldn't question the decisions of his elders. So he was just silently sitting there, not even listening. He was glad when the boring part of their visit was over. As he made his way out and into the gardens of this palace, he bumped into someone. Said someone fell down and WangJi could hear them scream silently from pain.

"Our's sincerest apologies. We weren't looking where we were going."

"It's okay. I wasn't looking either."

Said the person, as they slowly raised their head. They took Lan WangJi's hand and stood up.

"Thank you, prince Lan."

Guess the robes really did give away he was a Lan. He hadn't seen anyone wearing white or light blue robes in thes palace.

The next thing Lan WangJi knew, as the unknown person looked at him with his gorgeous moon eyes and smile on their face which put the sun in shame as they thanked him, his hear started beating fast. So fast he through it must have been heard in whole palace. And he knew...

They spent all Lan WangJi's visit together and Lan WangJi learned about Wei Ying's life in the palace. About him actualy being the first prince and the injustice his father put him and Wei Ying's mother through. And Lan WangJi felt rage so strong... he never felt like this. When he asked his brother, what all these feelings were, he got his answer almost immediately. And he knew it was true. He had fallen in love with Wei Ying.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Everything was perfect. Wei Ying was his husband. They lived together. And they slept together. Lan WangJi never felt this happy in his life. He even started slightly bending rules for Wei Ying's sake. Nothing of great importance of course. Just brought him alcohol from time to time. His brother knew but never said anything. He just smiled at them. A sincerely happy smile. But still... When the elders said he is to marry a woman, so there can be a heir to the throne, he couldn't refuse. The rules said never disobey the elders. It doesn't mean his heart didn't shatter the moment he saw Wei Ying crying, as he was kneeling in front of an altar with this woman whose name he already forgot. It wasn't important. He loved and always will love only Wei Ying. No one else. That's what he promised.

"You also promised you will marry me and only me."

But Wei Ying didn't believe him. And Lan WangJi can't understand why. All he did was follow the rules as he was taught. So why did his actions bring his beloved to tears.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Lan WangJi knew he has absolutely no right to ever look at his beloved ever again. He did the only thing he promised himself never to do. He made Wei Ying cry. That's why he never tried to talk to him again. He never looked at him. But he never forgot him.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Lan WangJi was standing in Phoenix Garden in the Wei Kingdom. He was looking as their soldiers cut the necks of every person they came across. The flames were destroying everything in their path. The once grand palace was in total chaos. Everything was burning and blood was staining everything. Screams could be heard through all of the kingdom.

Lan WangJi made his way inside the last palace that was standing. His uncle and brother already captured the crown prince Wei Guo and King Wei ChangZe. All the concubines and servants were dead. The only one remaining was Wei Ying's mother. At least that's what Lan WangJi thought.

Once he entered the bedroom, he saw a woman who he pitied and admired from many years since he met Wei Ying for the first time. She was all skin and bones... It was clear she wasn't eating for a long time. Her legs were broken. Probably broken by the Emperor so she couldn't escape the palace. Ever. But what made Lan WangJi shed one single tear for her, was the bloodied knif she was holding in her right hand, as she was laying on the bed, her split throat still slightly bleeding. Her beautiful eyes, same as Wei Ying's were no longer sparkling with life.

She was dead.

She commented suicide.

And Lan WangJi didn't know how to tell this news to his husband, who is waiting for him back in Gusu. Is he even permitted to look at him again, after everything he has done to him?

The answer is clear...

No.

No he wasn't.

He lost the permission to even look at the only person he ever loved in his life.

And it's no one else's fault but his own.