Thirty-Four

I was stood at the opening for the Brighter Future academy

I was stood at the opening for the Brighter Future academy. Nate and Kaitlyn were either side of me.

"I'm sure you've all had enough of me talking so I'd like to hand over to Gabrielle Carrington. CEO of Brighter Future." The mayor said. People started clapping. I walked up to the podium and looked around. I saw Fallon, Sam, Monica and Jeff smiling at me. Then I noticed Dad and Cristal.

"As the mayor said I'm Gabbie Carrington. When I was sat trying to write this speech I went to my sister for advice. She told me to start with the beginning. Then it left me with the thought where did it start." I said.

"Well, I was seven, eight years old. I told my dad I wanted to be an engineer. My sister told him the same thing years prior and well he said "but an engineer works for someone else not themselves" so little seven year old me wasn't interested in running the business like my sister decided but I went to college for a business degree. 1 semester in and I was miserable as hell so when I got the call from my sister to come home with her and my brother. I came home. Realised I was gonna be a mechanic so I dropped out of college." I said.

"I went back to college but this time doing something I wanted to do. I felt passionately about it. Turns out even in 2019 there's still more guys in engineering than girls. I'm the only girl in my engineering classes but I give the boys a run for they're money. It was then I decided I was ready to do something. To be the change. Then the Brighter Future Academy was created." I said.

"Think different. Think brighter future." I said. Everyone clapped. The mayor stood next to me.

"Citizens of Atlanta I give you the Brighter Future Academy." The mayor cut the ribbon. Reporters fled in. I got off the stage and Sam tackled me into a hug.

"Congrats, Gabs." Sam said.

"Thanks Sammy." I said. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Hey. Well done." Fallon said hugging me. Jeff and Monica hugged me. Fallon turned me around to where Dad was stood with paparazzi. He was smiling.

"He looks proud of you. He hasn't stopped smiling." Fallon said putting her hands on my shoulder. "And he's not the only one that's proud of you. We're proud too."

"Let's go out for breakfast." Sam said.

"Yeah. I just gotta grab something first." I said.

"Alright, we'll text you the restaurant." Fallon said.

"Okay." I said. I went to a peanut stand that Sterling and I used to go to everyday after school. I grabbed a bag of them and drove to the restaurant.

"So where did you go?" Sam asked.

"Nowhere special." I said sitting down.

"So where are you sneaking off to this weekend?" Jeff asked.