23

Waking Up by PVRIS

I was nervously fiddling with my fingers as the band got together for rehearsal. I'd told them I'd written something, or rather, finally finished something, and they were extremely excited. Well minus Bakugou, who I'd tried to tell about the song the day before.

I put copies of the lyrics in the usual place and some grabbed them as they walked by. Waiting expectantly.

If not for my fight with Bakugou the night before, I'd be more excited. He hadn't even let me tell him about what I'd written the night prior. Taking a deep breath, I looked up at the band.

"So as you know, I finished another song." I tell them.

Mina instantly picking up on my nervous state asks, "So why are you so nervous Uraraka? You should be excited."

The rest of the group silently agrees.

"Well... You see... This song doesn't call for drums..." I look up at Bakugou and his mouth is pressed in a firm line, annoyed.

"Is that all? I was seriously worried there!" Kaminari says.

"Really Ochako?" Bakugou says angrily.

I knew this was coming. I think.

"Yes Katsuki..." I say drawling out his name as best I could. He wanted to play it this way, I'd play ball. "Can you seriously not live with one song where you're not playing the drums?"

"What the fuck? Of course I fucking can, but it's not like I'm not going to be pissed that I have to just sit there for a whole fucking song with my thumb up my ass!" He yells.

I roll my eyes at him. "If it's that much of a problem, I'm sure you could go off stage and find something else to do."

"Like hell I will! This is my fucking band!"

"Our band..." Kiri butts in trying to be helpful, but also slightly annoyed that this is where the rehearsal was going.

"Yes Shitty Hair, you're right, our band. Regardless, you did this on purpose!"

"No I didn't! I've been working on this song since before I met you guys. It doesn't call for drums. I knew this was going to be your reaction and it's why I've been holding onto it! You make me so mad sometimes! Can't you just put aside your ego for one minute?"

"My ego, really? What about your ego? Huh? And if it's another fucking song about Deku, I swear to God, I will go find him and punch him in the fucking face."

"Actually for your information, it's not about Deku, it's about me."

"Um... Guys, look I know you're like in a fight right now and all, but this is so not manly. Dude if you bothered to look at the lyrics Uraraka wrote, you'd see they're about her and I'm thinking mental health?" Kiri points out.

"Exactly! Thank you Kiri! I wrote it a while ago and just finished it. I thought mental health was relatable." I say.

Bakugou scoffs, he can be such a child sometimes. He grabs the sheet from Kiri and reads it over. "This is really good. I still think you did it on purpose..." He trails off as Kiri and I both give him glares.

"I was thinking of tambourine and some cool vocalizing. Mina and I could focus on that and then we can break down the other instruments?" I ask.

"Ooh! I've got an idea!" Mina chimes in, "If mister sour puss over there wants to be involved, he can do the tambourine!"

"That's actually a pretty good idea." Kaminari states.

We look at Bakugou as a group and he rolls his eyes. Like playing the tambourine is beneath him. Honestly, it pisses me off. "Fucking fine!"

After we got that out of the way, we they asked me to sing the melody for them. Then we could later thing around it. See if we wanted any verses to be completely without instruments or if we'd add stuff right away.

We got a pretty good handle on the music. Bakugou had to be asked to chill a few time with how aggressively he was playing the tambourine. But after a few times, he chilled.

We ran through it some more and I sang, "I'm afraid of shutting down tonight
I've got this feeling deep inside
No matter how I try
I don't think I'll make it through the night."

"I think we can call it for the night, right guys?" Kiri said speaking up.

"Yeah sure." I responded while everyone else nodded their heads. Bakugou, was grumpily crossing his arms.

"Alright. We're heading out then. Kaminari has a date." Kiri teased. "And Mina and I wanted to go out too. So can you two clean up?"

"I don't see why not." I said with a smile. I wanted to talk to Bakugou anyway.

As the rest of the band left, Bakugou pushed off of the wall and walked over to me.

"Can we talk Katsuki?" I ask.

He grunted a "Yes."

"This is exhausting. I don't know how many times I have to tell you I'm over Deku until you believe me. I thought finishing this would show you it's not about him anymore. But I also knew you'd be mad. I just want to stop fighting."

"Whatever, don't act like you didn't start this song when you two broke up about how you were feeling..."

"I did work on it then, but I'd also been working on it before. I'm not always a cheery ball of sunshine. I know you know that. I struggle a lot sometimes with how I look and I started this during a really bad time for me. And then I picked it back up after the breakup. And then picked it up again the other day."

"Tch."

"Don't do that! Actually open your fucking ears for once and listen!"

His eyes grew wide for a second and he pulled me to him. "You're fucking hot when you curse, Ochako."

My protests about finishing the conversation halted when he kissed me fiercely. He pulled me close to him and devoured me, hungrily. Like he'd been starved of my touch, my kiss, the feel of me, for months, years even. When in reality it'd only been a day.