The Schuyler Sisters

I walked into the town market the next morning in search of some fresh fruits and vegetables.

I heard some young ladies fussing over something behind me, "Daddy said to be home by sundown!"

I stepped over to the peach stand. They were my favorite fruit, and finally in season again. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find them in New York!

"Daddy doesn't need to know."

"Good day, may I have six, please?" I asked the young boy with wavy blonde hair working the stand. He must've been around 16.

"Daddy said not to go downtown,"

By now, I was eavesdropping on their conversation. Ooooh, someone's a tattletale.

"Like I said, you're free to go!"

One of their voices got louder as I presume the girl was walking closer to me.

He smiled and rinsed six of them to set in my basket. I thanked him and turned around to go elsewhere when I ran into something, and the peaches flew out of my basket.

"Oh dear, I am so sorry about that. Let me get that for you! I was talking with my sisters and wasn't aware of my surroundings," a female's voice said. I looked up to see a young girl in a teal dress picking up my beloved peaches.

"They're over there—" she trailed off as she scanned for her sisters but didn't manage to spot them. "Really, Pegs?" She said to herself.

That's the same girl I got the inspiration for my hair from!

She turned to face me. She had long, straight black hair and a perfect doll-like face.

"Thank you so much. My name is Y/N L/N," I told her.

"I'm Elizabeth Schuyler or just Eliza for short. A pleasure to meet you. And please don't thank me, I'm the one that ran into you after all," she looked worried. She set the peaches back in my basket. 

"Is your food ruined? I can get you some new ones if you want."

"Don't worry about it; I can just rinse the dirt off. Thank you for offering though, it was very kind."

"Would you like to come over for dinner? It's the least I can do, and our family really enjoys company," she asked excitedly.

I sighed, "If no one minds, that sounds like fun!"

~~~

I headed over to the address Eliza gave me and approached the front door.

What a beautiful, large house. They must be wealthy. I hope she knows I didn't know this and didn't do anything just for the money experience.

I knocked and heard a muffled 'I'll get it.'

Eliza opened the door and invited me inside. I saw two other girls coming down the stairs. The one in a yellow dress was running while the one in a pink dress was elegantly walking.

"Y/N, this is my younger sister Peggy," the one in the yellow grinned and waved excitedly. She had her curly brown hair tied back into a tight ponytail and had rosy lips. "and this is my older sister Angelica," the one in the pink dress smiled and nodded. She had dark brown hair, and despite still being young, she had a mature-looking face.

"Thank you for hosting me this evening," I bowed my head to all of them and curtsied.

"Our pleasure!" Peggy squealed.

As dinner was being prepared, the four of us chatted in the parlor, getting to know each other a little more. I learned they were all excited about the upcoming winter ball and were hoping to find soldiers to dance and start relationships with.

"Will you be attending the ball, Y/N?" Angelica asked.

"Yes..." I hesitated, "as a soldier."

"A soldier?!" They all replied.

"I signed up for the continental army," I explained shyly.

"My, what an amazing person you are," Eliza praised. 

 I smiled.

"Whatever it takes for this country's independence!" I exclaimed.

~~~

"Supper was lovely, girls," I told them. "I really hope to see you again soon, and at the ball."

We said our goodbyes, and I headed home once again, satisfied with another wholesome day.