Right-Hand Man

We set up a makeshift camp in the middle of nowhere, far away from the city.

I took a seat on a wooden log and stayed there for a while with my head held in my hands. Washington had been calling men into his tent all day, most likely searching for a right-hand man.

All of a sudden, I look up to see Aaron Burr enter his tent.

Where the heck did he come from?

A few moments after, Alexander entered the general's tent, too. Burr exited. He spotted me.

"Y/N!" He called out and took a seat next to me. "How's it been going?" He asked with a straight face, knowing it wasn't the right time and place to be causal.

"Honestly, I haven't been getting any sleep. The flashbacks are just too much," I shivered in fear. "The guys try to help me through it, but I know they're facing the same problem."

"I understand how you feel. I was a captain under General Montgomery until he caught a bullet in the neck in Quebec. And, well, in summary, I get those war flashbacks, too," he gave a sad smile. "It doesn't stop me, though, and neither should it stop you if you still believe in defending this country. The reason I came here is that I thought that I could be of some assistance. I admired how Washington kept firing on the British from a distance rather than Montgomery, who made us fight up close. I went into Washington's tent because I had some questions, a couple of suggestions, on how to fight instead of y'all fleeing west. I was about to discuss them, but that's when Hamilton entered, and Washington shooed me out." Burr eyed the tent.

"Son, we are outgunned, outmanned!" A muffled yell could be heard from the tent. Washington must be mad at Alexander.

"Y/N was right; you need all the help you can get. I have some friends: Laurens, Mulligan, Marquis de Lafayette. Ok, what else?" We heard Alex shoot back.

"Something's going on in there," I said to Burr.

"I don't like it," Burr replies.

 We tried to eavesdrop on their conversation for a little longer, but it was unsuccessful.

A little later, Alexander walked out of the tent with Washington by his side. Washington went up to a makeshift podium and announced Hamilton would be his new "right-hand man."

"What?" Burr spat.

"Boom," Alexander came up to him, said, and smirked in Burr's face.

Burr muttered something under his breath and stood up.

"Since I have no need here, Y/N, I'll be returning to the city to study law. Good luck," he nodded. And just like that, he was gone again.