Duel? Duel.

Trigger Warning: Mentions (fear) of death

*** = stop and start

Lee was put on cleaning duty for six months as punishment for his ruinous leadership - ordered directly by Washington himself. 

However, a few days later, when the general had taken a group of his most elite troops into the city to meet with a British commander, Lee had gathered everyone around him, slandering Washington's name. 

Against my best wishes, it seemed everyone agreed with Lee. They all cheered in solidarity when Lee sneered, "Washington cannot be left alone to his devices; indecisive from crisis to crisis. The best thing he can do for the revolution is turn and go back to planting tobacco in Mount Vernon."

I put a hand on an enraged Alexander's shoulder. 

"Don't do a thing. History will prove him wrong," I spoke sternly to his face.

"But-"

"We have a war to fight; let's move along."

"But you heard what Lee-"

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm still in charge of you. If I say no, that's something you have to obey."

He furrowed his eyebrows in frustration, "I'm your friend. It's different. It's something that has to be done."

"Oh, so if you were friends with a British soldier, do you think the entire British army would care whether you live or die? They wouldn't see a difference in what that made. I don't see a difference in you not following orders just because you know me a little better than some of the other soldiers do."

He kept his irritated gaze on me.

I sighed, "As much Lee deserves it, taking action against him would only disrupt things. You're one of America's finest soldiers. We can't have anything happen to you."

"I'm more than willing to die!"

"No, we need you alive. Your wife needs you alive. You're my friend; I need you alive."

I left it at that. I walked away, going over to the well to fill my canteen.

I froze when I picked up the conversation of two of the voices I know best twenty yards behind me.

"Strong words from Lee, someone oughta hold him to it!" John

"I already spoke to Y/N about it. She said I couldn't, as her 'order'."

"Ah, she told you 'no' but didn't say anything to me. Alexander, you're the closest friend I got." 

"Laurens," Alex said solemnly, "do not throw away your shot."

A duel. I knew it. 

John's going to duel Lee.

John can't duel Lee. Nothing can happen to him—my friend.

What if he gets- I was interrupted from the thoughts swirling around in my head by the words I heard next.

"Tomorrow. Noon." John arranged.

"You're on," I could vision Lee's ugly smirk.

No.

I waited until they separated, then went over to Lee.

"Lee."

His eyes widened when I approached him, "What do you want?"

"John's not going to duel you. I will," I said casually.