On Our Way

When I arrived at Alexander's place, he and John were already standing out there talking. John instantly smiled when he saw me.

"Y/n, you ready for this?" He asked

"Mmhmm," I nodded and smiled. "I know it's a war we're talking about, but I'm pretty excited if that doesn't sound wrong enough."

"Don't worry, we all feel the same way," he patted my shoulder. "I must ask, though, and I hope I'm not intruding, but isn't there anyone in your family against you doing this?" He frowned.

"I... I live alone," I stated, hoping he got the hint.

Alexander stepped towards me, "I understand. I do, too," he gave me a sad smile. "And here we are, making the best of our lives fighting for our country. It's certainly something to be proud of."

I grinned. He always knows how to cheer a fellow up.

I heard footsteps behind me, and we turned around to see Laf and Herc had arrived.

They're always together... huh.

We all chatted for a few more minutes while Alexander grabbed the coach. We grabbed our bags and made our way into it. Well, Alex grabbed my bags, and John helped me into the carriage like a gentleman.

"Ayo, what time is it?" John shouted.

"Showtime!" We all screamed back. I know the drill by now.

"Ay, come on, let 'em hear ya. I said, what time is it?"

"SHOWTIME!" Followed by loud cheers.

"Can you please not," the coach driver said, rubbing his temples.

"Mannnn," Herc whined.

The coach slowly began rolling, the clacking of the horse hooves on the dusty road, and off we head to the camp.

 I was seated on the side facing the back in between Laf and Alex, and John and Herc sat on the regular side facing forward. We all decided to play a game of fish with the cards Alex brought to pass the time.

(A/N: I know Go Fish wasn't invented until much later, but let's pretend. I don't have time to research oldie games)

"Laf, do you have any nines?" John asked.

"Nine.... Which one is that again?" Laf frowned.

"Neuf," I answered.

"Ah, oui," Lafayette pulled out his card and handed it to John.

"That's not a number," Herc scratched his head.

Alexander and I rolled our eyes.

"Is too, you uncultured pig," Laf playfully glared at his friend.

"Well, you know I can't understand your French or whatever the heck you're speaking," Herc huffed and crossed his arms.

"Good!" I smirked. "Alex, Laf, and I can say whatever we want, and you two," I pointed to Herc and John, "won't ever know what we are saying."

"Awwwww, can you please teach me French, Y/N," John frowned.

"I'm not fluent like Alex and Lafayette, but I can try to help," I smiled shyly at him.

He held my gaze for a moment before looking away.

Oooooooooh, don't think I didn't catch that, boy.

"Anyone in the mood for a song?" I asked after we ended the game and took my beloved tambourine out of my bag.

All of their eyes lit up, and the boys started singing a song that I didn't know, but I joyfully hit my tambourine to the beat—some song about not throwing away their shot. Alexander did a crazy rapping part, and everyone sang a pretty melody of "whoa whoa whoa." I had the urge to sing along to that part but didn't, so I wouldn't mess the song up if the words or melody changed.