❌ Rooftop Rendezvous

Summary: A Batwatcher sees a lot more than she bargained for. (Outsider POV) [1,807 words]

CW: voyeurism

...........................................................

The complete version of this fic is only available on Archive Of Our Own (for more info on why, please see the Table Of Contents). A link to the fic is provided at the bottom of the chapter, under External Link. If you are not on desktop, please see the link to my AO3 in my bio, or the JayDick Oneshots masterpost on my profile (under the 'Conversations' tab. Scroll to 29 March, 2023) for the direct links to the fics.

...........................................................

A short preview:
.

Shasta sighed as she let herself into her tiny, shitty apartment with the stupid door that stuck every goddamn time she opened it. She kicked the door shut behind herself and dropped her work bag on the chair by the door, kicking her shoes off of her aching feet and bringing the plastic bag with her sandwich — the one small perk of her shitass, exhausting job — into her bedroom and setting it on her desk.

She quickly got out of her gross work uniform and into a t-shirt and shorts and collapsed into her desk chair. For a few moments she simply sat there with her eyes closed, before finally reaching for the bag on her desk and pulling it into her lap, opening her eyes and taking out the sandwich, slowly unwrapping it and scooting her chair forward a few inches to the telescope in her window.

Like most Batwatchers, she didn't have very high expectations. Most nights were spent just staring over empty rooftops until she nodded off, but that wasn't why she did it. There was just something so exciting about the idea of catching a glimpse of one of the bats, vigilantes that were more like ghost stories than actual physical people despite only one of them even being a metahuman.

And Shasta had managed to catch a glimpse a few times. Once she'd seen Red Robin grapple past so fast she'd almost missed it, the second time she'd seen Batgirl sitting drinking a coffee a few rooftops away for almost ten minutes, and the last time she'd seen the Batman himself beating up a mugger in the alleyway below her window. She'd been flying high for a while after that one.

She knew she probably could've gotten a few pictures through her telescope if she'd wanted to — a lot of Batwatchers did it specifically to try to get photo evidence — but...at risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole about it, Shasta felt like taking pictures and posting them might somehow...cheapen the experience. Okay so that totally did sound kind of pretentious even just to think, but practically speaking, maybe it also would be a good idea not to get on the bad side of the bats by posting pics of them. They definitely didn't like it, judging by how often pictures and videos mysteriously went missing.

She leaned in to look through her telescope, and slowly panned it over the skyline, bringing her sandwich up to take a bite as she did so. Her eye caught something red and shiny as she scanned past, and she jerked the telescope back toward it. Holy shit.

The Red Hood was standing casual as anything near the edge of a rooftop with just a domino on his face, signature shiny red helmet tucked under one arm, smoking a cigarette. What the hell he was doing chilling on a rooftop far enough out of the East End to definitely be intentional, Shasta had no idea, but she kept watching.

After about half her sandwich was gone and Red Hood had lit up a second cigarette, Nightwing swung up onto the roof in a streak of electric blue. Double holy shit. Two of them in one night? Damn, it really was Shasta's lucky day.

Nightwing plucked the cigarette from Red Hood's fingers and ground it under his heel, and Shasta got the feeling that had anyone else done that, Red Hood would have seriously contemplated snapping their neck. As it was, he merely scowled, which Nightwing ignored, leaning up to give him a quick kiss. Aw, that was cute.

Red Hood dropped his helmet to the roof and caught at Nightwing's waist as he pulled back, leaning in to kiss him again deeper. Shasta took another bite of her sandwich, grinning. Alright, that was cute as hell.

[...]