Time for forgiveness

Ruby had come to stay with Lena for the holidays, they had arranged for it when Sam had realised that all her powers were back she needed to get time to get everything under control, she needed time to know that she wasn't turning back into Reign. Lena had been there for her as always, reminded her that they defeated her in the cave, that Reign was gone and she was ok, but Sam had been scared. Sam had promised that she would come for Christmas day and ruby had agreed, she loved spending time with Lena and was looking forward to it. She arrived to find that Lena isn't quite herself.

"Ok Clarence this is today, this is the start of what happened to have Lena on that bridge, these are the things that happened, you need to watch this carefully see what it is that has brought her to this dark place"

Clarence nodded and looked back at the clouds as they parted for christmas morning.

"Aunty Lena, what's wrong? You are not yourself, are you worried about Mom? Should I be worried? The last time you were like this Mom was in trouble, she isn't blacking out she isn't doing anything that she was doing before, she is just breaking stuff and scared. Is there something that I don't know I am old enough to be told, I am not a child, you have never treated me like one please don't do it now."

Lena looked at Ruby, and smiled out of everyone in her life, Ruby was the only one that was willing to call her on her change, she felt bad though because she had thought it was something that was wrong with her mother. Lena didn't want her to worry about Sam, she knew her, she believed in her and she knew that Reign was gone.

"Ruby, no don't worry about your Mom, I believe that she is just worrying over nothing, I am just sad, Aunty Kara and I have fallen out and it just hurts, I feel alone, she treated me like a Luthor and it hurts alot"

"You two will work it out you love each other, I can see it, I always did, I asked Mom about you two when we live in National City she said that you were both too stubborn to realise it and I shouldn't bring it up, but she couldn't hurt you if you didn't love her."

Lena looked at Ruby and smiled softly. She would need to have a conversation with Sam at some point but she knew that Ruby was always asking questions the girl was smart and insightful. She nodded and took her to the Mall on the way to work. Lena arrived at LCorp and went to her office, she wasn't working, list after list of things were written on the tablet in her hand. It didn't matter how she wrote it out, there was lies verses truths for her and Kara they were even. Good verses bad they were even, both of them had done things to hurt the other, neither one actually trying to do so, but the Kara, keeping who she was from Lena to protect both Lena and herself was just as ingrained in the blond as Lena's decisions to do things in secret to not put Kara in danger or change the way Kara looked at her. More and more lists until the final one evidence of love. Lena realised that Ruby was right, she loved Kara she knew that but she was in love with her and that was what made it hurt so much, the thing that surprised her was there was as much evidence that Lena loved Kara as for Kara loving her.

The fear inside Lena was growing, had she pushed her away to well had she lost her completely. Lena worried that losing Kara completely would be the end of her, loss did strange things to a Luthor and Lena had lost so much already. She opened her draw, there was the invitation to Christmas dinner from Kara, and then she spotted the thumb drive, she hadn't looked at it, she had not opened it, she knew there was a lot of videos of Kara using her powers whatever else Lex had on there was none of her business, she had no need of the drive. The last item in the draw was the present she had made for Kara and the developed photos from thanksgiving. Lena decided that she would end the invitation with an acceptance and the drive over to Kara, Ruby could take it over with her after lunch, she should be there soon after all the Mall was only open for a few hours on christmas day.

Lena tried to focus and looked at the stack of papers on her desk, which included the latest Catco publication and Kara's soon to be Pulitzer winning piece on Lex. She read it and as much as it hurt her heart to see her brother like that she knew that it was all true, he had done everything in their he had become a monster and she was not going to let that be her fate, she would die rather than become a Luthor. She took out a pen and wrote on the article.

"You have always been a person full of integrity, an exceptional writer, this information should be held by you, I will not have it fall into the wrong hands. I am proud to call you my friend"

Ruby knocked and entered the office, smiling at Lena with a small bag of gifts for the dinner later.

"Hey aunt Lena, I have managed to get the last few things, I am so excited, I hope Mom makes it over for dinner, she promised but she said she wouldn't be over until at least six. I would love it if you came, you know, you never gave up on my Mom and she did terrible things, your still close, you have never given up before, and well Mom, aunt Kara and aunt Alex never gave up on you, or you them, you can't start now. I have been thinking about it and well coming to dinner would be the best first step, it's better than being alone isn't it?"

Lena looked at the girl so excited and so eager, she raised her brow and smiled brightly, for the first time since shooting Lex she felt it was a real one. The realisation that she was in love with Kara, that they had both been protecting each other, and that was how they hurt each other, she knew going forward if they stuck together, believed in each other and their connection they could move past it and they could stop the collateral damage. Kara may never love her back the way that she loved her but she knew that she loved her she could see it now.

"I am going to come over for a while, and talk to Kara, and if she is happy for me to stay I will, your right Ruby, I have spent my life trying and getting back up when I fail, I am stubborn your mother is right, I just need to focus that on something positive, you can do something for me Ruby, you can take this to Kara for me"

Lena puth the pen drive and the invite onto the magazine and handed it to Ruby. with a smile.

"This is very important you need to make sure that Kara gets it ok."

Ruby was excited she smiled and hugged Lena taking the items, they sat down and ate the food that Ruby had brought to the office for lunch. They chatted and ate, as it drew closer to one oclock Lena suggested getting a car to take her to Kara's, Ruby declined and said she wanted to take the subway, she kissed her cheek and bounced out of the office. Heading down to the car that was waiting for her.